Baseball takes series from Miami Ohio, remains No. 1 in MAC
The baseball team sits just three games away from history.
After winning their eighth series in a row - upping their win total to 29, three shy of the overall school record - the Bulls (29-20, 17-6 Mid-American Conference) are just three games from clinching their first-ever MAC East title and the No. 1 seed in the MAC Tournament, which begins May 22 and takes place next week.
The Bulls' first game of their series with Miami Ohio (23-27, 12-12 MAC) was delayed, forcing them to play a doubleheader on Saturday. Buffalo split the doubleheader 7-3, 5-13, and won the series finale on Sunday, 12-0.
After a rough outing against Ohio last weekend, sophomore Mike McGee was much improved in the series opener, pitching the Bulls to victory.
He pitched 6 2/3 innings, allowing two earned runs on six hits. Freshman Ben Hartz was sterling in his 2 1/3 innings of work, allowing just two base runners to earn the save.
Junior Mike Burke was solid on Sunday, pitching seven innings before being relieved by senior River McWilliams for the last two innings.
The series victory puts the Bulls in control of their playoff destiny. They currently sit 1/2 game in front of Kent State in the East and for the number one seed in the MAC Tournament.
After a decade of MAC play without a tournament appearance, the Bulls have now clinched two straight berths and are in position to have a shot at their first-ever NCAA Tournament.
The Bulls will host St. Bonaventure (18-25, 8-13 Atlantic 10) on Tuesday for a doubleheader before traveling to Bowling Green (17-26, 11-12 MAC) on Friday for their regular season finale.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- James Gardner named interim dean of law school
- Skeete fuels second-half run as Bulls defeat Drexel
- A new shift
- A source of pride – and debt
- Reviving the Buffalo waterfront with Buffalo RiverWorks
- The Proles: A lesson in how to rock and roll
- Katy Perry will always be my “Teenage Dream” and she deserves to perform...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists