Baseball takes series from Miami Ohio, remains No. 1 in MAC
The baseball team sits just three games away from history.
After winning their eighth series in a row - upping their win total to 29, three shy of the overall school record - the Bulls (29-20, 17-6 Mid-American Conference) are just three games from clinching their first-ever MAC East title and the No. 1 seed in the MAC Tournament, which begins May 22 and takes place next week.
The Bulls' first game of their series with Miami Ohio (23-27, 12-12 MAC) was delayed, forcing them to play a doubleheader on Saturday. Buffalo split the doubleheader 7-3, 5-13, and won the series finale on Sunday, 12-0.
After a rough outing against Ohio last weekend, sophomore Mike McGee was much improved in the series opener, pitching the Bulls to victory.
He pitched 6 2/3 innings, allowing two earned runs on six hits. Freshman Ben Hartz was sterling in his 2 1/3 innings of work, allowing just two base runners to earn the save.
Junior Mike Burke was solid on Sunday, pitching seven innings before being relieved by senior River McWilliams for the last two innings.
The series victory puts the Bulls in control of their playoff destiny. They currently sit 1/2 game in front of Kent State in the East and for the number one seed in the MAC Tournament.
After a decade of MAC play without a tournament appearance, the Bulls have now clinched two straight berths and are in position to have a shot at their first-ever NCAA Tournament.
The Bulls will host St. Bonaventure (18-25, 8-13 Atlantic 10) on Tuesday for a doubleheader before traveling to Bowling Green (17-26, 11-12 MAC) on Friday for their regular season finale.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths