Baseball takes series from Miami Ohio, remains No. 1 in MAC
The baseball team sits just three games away from history.
After winning their eighth series in a row - upping their win total to 29, three shy of the overall school record - the Bulls (29-20, 17-6 Mid-American Conference) are just three games from clinching their first-ever MAC East title and the No. 1 seed in the MAC Tournament, which begins May 22 and takes place next week.
The Bulls' first game of their series with Miami Ohio (23-27, 12-12 MAC) was delayed, forcing them to play a doubleheader on Saturday. Buffalo split the doubleheader 7-3, 5-13, and won the series finale on Sunday, 12-0.
After a rough outing against Ohio last weekend, sophomore Mike McGee was much improved in the series opener, pitching the Bulls to victory.
He pitched 6 2/3 innings, allowing two earned runs on six hits. Freshman Ben Hartz was sterling in his 2 1/3 innings of work, allowing just two base runners to earn the save.
Junior Mike Burke was solid on Sunday, pitching seven innings before being relieved by senior River McWilliams for the last two innings.
The series victory puts the Bulls in control of their playoff destiny. They currently sit 1/2 game in front of Kent State in the East and for the number one seed in the MAC Tournament.
After a decade of MAC play without a tournament appearance, the Bulls have now clinched two straight berths and are in position to have a shot at their first-ever NCAA Tournament.
The Bulls will host St. Bonaventure (18-25, 8-13 Atlantic 10) on Tuesday for a doubleheader before traveling to Bowling Green (17-26, 11-12 MAC) on Friday for their regular season finale.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB students ‘make noise’ in wake of Ferguson grand jury decision
- Publishing textbooks can mean big money for professors
- Long hair because they care
- Braving the Snowvember storm
- UB joins nationwide ‘It’s On Us’ sexual assault prevention campaign
- “Home” is where the Turkey is
- R&B’s favorite ‘Boyz’ are back
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge