Four students hospitalized from carbon monoxide leak in Richmond Quad
Published: Sunday, February 17, 2013
Updated: Sunday, February 17, 2013 23:02
11:43 p.m.: Brennan said a faulty boiler, which has since been shut down, caused the carbon monoxide leak.
He said six students in total received medical attention for symptoms that included dizziness and lightheadedness. Two students went to the hospital on their own, two were transported there via ambulance and two did not need to go to the hospital. All students are expected to make a full recovery.
Brennan said all students have been allowed back into their dorm. The university will be investigating the problem with the boiler.
"We'll be reviewing what caused it and getting it sorted out," Brennan said.
10:45 p.m.: Four students have been hospitalized as the result of a carbon monoxide leak in Richmond Quad on UB's North Campus. Vice President for University Communications Joseph Brennan said the building has been evacuated, it is being ventilated and the source of the leak has been found.
"It’s been corrected," Brennan said. "We’re not sure when [students] will be able to get back in there, but maybe sometime this evening.”
Two students were transported by a medical team to a hospital, two went on their own and one more was currently being evaluated as of 10:30 p.m.
“We think it’s related to exposure,” Brennan said.
Five fire trucks, four ambulances and one police car were on the scene. Students evacuated the dorms shortly after 9 p.m. UB sent out an emergency alert at 10:44 p.m.
Brennan said he'll be in contact with The Spectrum if he learns anything else. For the latest updates, follow The Spectrum's Twitter account, @UBSpectrum.
A similar occurrence happened March 1, 2012, in Red Jacket Residence Hall, when students were evacuated because of an unidentified odor in the building. Students were allowed back in the dormitory after three hours. Six students had symptoms of burning eyes and skin as well as coughing. An ambulance took one student to a local hospital.