University begins search for new chief of police

Community forums encourage participation in search

The university began its search for a new chief of police and is calling on the UB community to give its input. 

A search committee will hold two community forums –– Monday from 6 to 7 p.m. in the Harriman Hall Ballroom and Tuesday from 4 to 5 p.m. in Capen 10, according to an email from UB Leadership Searches. Students, employees and faculty are invited to discuss priorities for the search.

The committee is searching for a successor to former Chief of Police Gerald Schoenle Jr., who retired from UB in January after 12 years with University Police. Chris Bartolomei, assistant chief of university police since 2013, has served as acting chief of police for the last nine months.

Laura Hubbard, vice president for finance and administration, appointed the committee, which is chaired by Mark Coldren, assistant vice president for human resources.

The committee also includes Director of Student Conduct and Advocacy Liz Lidano; Director of Community Relations Tess Morrissey; Director of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Sharon Nolan-Weiss; Director of Environment, Health and Safety Joe Raab; and Despina Stratigakos, vice provost of the Office of Inclusive Excellence.

Coldren said the search will be national, but is open to current UPD employees. 

“The community forums are a vital part of our stakeholder outreach to gather community input about the position ­­––what community members see as important, what they have concerns about, what they would like to see in a chief and in the University Police department, etc.,” Coldren wrote in an email. 

Coldren said he expects to name a new chief of police by January. Once a pool of finalists is determined, members of the UB community will be able to discuss important issues with candidates to determine the best fit to continue keeping campus safe and growing UPD, Coldren said.

“UPD provides vital services to our campus community, and therefore it is important to me that the search process for this position be inclusive and provide opportunities for community input,” Coldren said. 

Max Kalnitz is the senior news editor and can be reached at max.kalnitz@ubspectrum.com

@Max_Kalnitz