UB projects manager charged with grand larceny

James Spratz pleads guilty to stealing $15,000 from university

James Spratz, project manager for Facilities Design and Construction, was arrested Wednesday for defrauding the state and stealing over $15,000 in wages. He recorded hours for his university job when he wasn’t working, including times when he worked an outside job with private employers.  

The 53-year-old Lancaster native was arrested and charged with Offering a False Instrument for Filing in the First Degree, five counts, and Grand Larceny in the Third Degree, all felonies, according to a report from Erie County District Attorney John Flynn’s office. He was released pending his reappearance in court on Oct. 10.

An investigation by Inspector General Catherine Leahy Scott found that between June 17, 2016 and Sept. 30, 2017 Spratz falsely clocked-in hours at UB when he was not at work.  During that time, he worked for and received compensation from private outside architectural design and construction management firms. As a result of his alleged intentional misrepresentations, Spratz illegally earned wages from the State totaling $15,622.30.

Spratz’s arrest comes just over a year after former Vice President Dennis Black pleaded guilty to stealing roughly $320,000 from UB and $22,238 from the New York State Taxation and Finance Dept., and former Director of Campus Living Andrea Costantino pleaded guilty to stealing $14,000 from UB. 

UB released a statement following Spratz’s arrest. 

“The University at Buffalo is aware of the arrest of James Spratz and has cooperated fully with the Office of the Inspector General’s investigation of this matter,” UB Spokesperson John DellaContrada said in a press release. “In accordance with the disciplinary procedure between the university and Spratz’s union, he has been removed from the workplace pending disciplinary proceedings.”

Scott said she wants to see Spratz face the consequences of his actions. 

“This defendant is charged with perpetrating a shameless fraud meant to criminally enrich himself by taking public-sector wages for work he did not do and by double billing his professional time at the expense of students and taxpayers,” Scott said.  “I will use the full powers of my office to pursue any public employee who violates the public trust.”

District Attorney Flynn said he’ll do everything within his power to protect taxpayers’ money. 

“This project manager is accused of lying to his employer and fraudulently collecting a paycheck while being paid by other companies,” Flynn said. “I, along with the Inspector General, will continue to aggressively prosecute those who steal from SUNY students and New York State taxpayers.”

Max Kalnitz is the senior news editor and can be reached at max.kalnitz@ubspectrum.com

@Max_Kalnitz