UB paid former president John Simpson roughly $60,000 after full-time retirement

Simpson paid for part-time duties as university adviser from 2012-14

<p>Former UB President Simpson received $60,237 from UB for his work as an executive officer. As executive officer, his job was to “provide advice and counsel” to UB “on internal and external matters as needed,” according to UB spokesperson John DellaContrada.</p>

Former UB President Simpson received $60,237 from UB for his work as an executive officer. As executive officer, his job was to “provide advice and counsel” to UB “on internal and external matters as needed,” according to UB spokesperson John DellaContrada.

UB paid former President John Simpson $60,237 for part-time work after he retired from his full-time role in 2011.

Simpson was paid from 2012 to 2014 as an “executive officer” for the university, according to UB spokesperson John DellaContrada. The part-time position ensured Simpson compensation for serving “as needed” as a university adviser.

“Under terms of the employment contract negotiated in 2004 by John Simpson and former SUNY Chancellor Robert L. King, former president Simpson was paid a part-time salary in 2012, 2013 and 2014 per the contract,” DellaContrada said.

“His duties were to provide advice and counsel to the university on internal and external matters as needed.  The topics typically focused on university matters related to his tenure as president.”

The Spectrum found Simpson’s part-time earnings on SeeThroughNY, a site that compiles data reported by state institutions to the New York State Comptroller’s office.

In his three years as an executive officer at UB, Simpson received $30,785 in 2012, $26,569 in 2013 and $2,883 in 2014, according to SeeThroughNY. DellaContrada confirmed the site’s numbers.

In 2011, The Spectrum wrote about Simpson’s post-retirement compensation.

DellaContrada said Simpson’s contract provided him a “pro-rated full-time annual salary from March 17, 2011, through Dec. 17, 2011,” separate from his part-time work as an executive officer from 2012 to 2014. Simpson received a total compensation of $262,921 from UB in 2011, according to SeeThroughNY.

Benjamin Blanchet is a senior features editor and can be reached at benjamin.blanchet@ubspectrum.com and @BenjaminUBSpec.

BENJAMIN BLANCHET
Father Benjamin.jpg

Benjamin Blanchet is the senior engagement editor for The Spectrum. His words have been seen in The Buffalo News (Gusto) and The Sun newspapers of Western New York. Loves cryptoquip and double-doubles.