Discounts and freebies

How you can save money as a UB student

Let’s face it: college is expensive, and students have to do whatever they can to save a few bucks. Luckily, there are a few options out there to take advantage of.

From discounts to free stuff, here’s what you should know to help keep some money in your pocket.

Wellness Education Services

UBCovered provides free male and female condoms, flavored and unflavored lube, and dental dams through Wellness Education Services. 

UBCovered’s supply request form can be accessed via UBLinked. Students who live on campus can use the form to order free safe sex supplies for delivery to their mailroom. Students who live off campus can also request supplies.

Wellness Education Services also can connect students to a registered dietician for nutrition counseling. The services offer “guidance on a range of topics including weight management, allergies and sensitivities and other eating-related medical questions and concerns,” according to UB’s Student Life page.

UNiDAYS discounts

Students can create an account for free on UNiDAYS and have access to discounts to many different stores and services. 

Students can get a discount on Grubhub, a food delivery service, as of Tuesday night. Students can place orders for discounted deliveries for restaurants near North Campus like Qdoba, Red Robin, Five Guys, Anchor Bar, Red Lobster and more.  

UNiDAYS also gives discounts between 10 and 15 percent off to fashion brands including Dr. Martens, Calvin Klein, H&M and Nautica. Activewear, sneakers, eye care and health subscriptions are also discounted on the site.

As for travel, UNiDAYS offers a free student membership to Zipcar, which is partnered with UB, Megabus, Hotels.com, Uber and Lyft.  Discounts for technology are also available.

Free software from UBIT

UBIT allows students to download software for personally-owned Windows, Mac and Linux computers. The available software covers various student needs; Symantec Endpoint Protection for computer virus protection, Office 2016 for school work and Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for secure VPN connections, according to UBIT’s webpage.

UB Counseling Services

UB Counseling Services offers free counseling to all currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students. The services focus on helping students deal with much of the stress of university life as well as crisis management.

Counseling Services also offer a Wellness Suite & Safe Zone, located at 114 Student Union, where students can take advantage of free tea, coloring supplies and massage chairs.

Free streaming services

For students who live on campus, Campus Living provides free streaming cable television via the application Stream2, HBO Go and MAX GO. Most of the content, which comes from HBO and Cinemax, is available in HD.

Technology discounts

Spotify Premium has an offer for students that includes Hulu and SHOWTIME. The cost is 99 cents for the first three months of subscription and then $4.99 per month afterwards. All on one bill, UB students can pay for three music and television services for half the cost of an average Spotify Premium account.

Apple also offers a special discount for students. Through Apple education pricing, students can purchase desktops, laptops, iPads and software. Students also have access to a discounted Apple Music membership for $4.99 per month –– half the regular price. Apple is offering a free pair of Beats headphones with the purchase of a Mac or iPad Pro, as of Tuesday.

Restaurant discounts

Students can add a little spice to their lives by signing up for food deals.

If you sign up for Chipotle text alerts, you will be signed up for Chipotle mobile offers. Through text alerts, students will receive notifications of day-of deals and according to an Amherst store worker, there are special discounts just for students.

CoreLife Eatery, located in Buffalo, also has a deal for students. From now until Sept. 16, 2 p.m. to close, students can get 50 percent off their in-store meal and beverage purchases.  All you have to do to take advantage of this deal is show a valid UB Card in store.

Kirsten Dean is the assistant features editor and can be reached at kirsten.dean@ubspectrum.com and on Twitter @KirstenUBSpec.