Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Troy Miller appointed UB director of admissions

Hire comes more than a year after former director left position

<p>Troy Miller, assistant vice president for enrollment management at Bowie State University, will become associate vice provost and director of admissions on July 26.&nbsp;</p>

Troy Miller, assistant vice president for enrollment management at Bowie State University, will become associate vice provost and director of admissions on July 26. 

Troy Miller, assistant vice president for enrollment management at Bowie State University, will replace Jose Aviles as associate vice provost and director of admissions on July 26.

The announcement comes more than a year after Aviles stepped down from his position on June 23, 2017 after accepting a position at Louisiana State University. Lee Melvin, vice provost for enrollment management filled the position temporarily.

The university commenced a national candidate search in the fall of 2017, announcing Miller as its new hire in a press release on Tuesday.

Miller said he’s optimistic about working at Buffalo. He said he realizes the Queen City is in the midst of a multi-faceted renaissance and is excited to play his role in the city’s and university’s advancement.

“I’m absolutely excited about coming to UB and Buffalo,” Miller said. “I will say this, Buffalo wasn’t initially my thought of a destination. But after hearing about the opportunity, meeting the people –– I’ve been to three or four times and been around the city, my gut feeling never steers me wrong. Everyone likes working with each other and there’s some great things happening at UB that I’m excited to be a part of.”

As director of admissions, Miller will "lead all aspects of domestic undergraduate recruitment and admissions at UB. He will be responsible for envisioning and implementing a forward-thinking, innovative and dynamic admissions strategy that continues to enhance academic quality and helps further raise UB to the highest levels of institutional distinction,” according to the press release.

Miller said his prior experience at Bowie State University has prepared him for the job and he’s prepared to continue the work Aviles started.

“I know that UB has had a record number of enrollment for first year freshmen, at a much larger scale compared to my current institution,” Miller said. “What I do scales up perfectly, I’ve always been interested in diversifying the demographics for individuals being able to take advantage of education and UB is the perfect place to do that.”

Melvin said he is optimistic in Miller’s abilities in his announcement.

“The work of recruiting, enrolling, retaining and graduating a diverse community of scholars from UB requires a campus-wide commitment and visionary leadership in undergraduate admissions, and I believe that in Troy we have found the candidate to lead these efforts,” Melvin said in the press release. “I am confident that he possesses the qualities needed and proven leadership skills to further elevate the Office of Admissions to the next level of excellence.”

Max Kalnitz is the senior news editor and can be reached at max.kalnitz@ubspectrum.com

@Max_Kalnitz