The Grapevine

Your seasonal collection of Buffalo’s sonic selections

<p></p>

With summer underway, live music is fruitful in every corner.

Buffalo’s music scene offers something for everyone year round, for multiple genres and areas of interest. Rock, country and rap acts are all making their way to Buffalo in the coming months, visiting popular spots like the Albright Knox Art Gallery and Canalside.

The Spectrum compiled a list of some of the most prominent performers making their way to Buffalo.

3 Doors Down & Collective Soul - Seneca Niagara Events Center

Saturday, August 18

With a mix of hard-hitting alternative rock mixed with grunge, 3 Doors Down and Collective Soul bring thrilling music this summer.

With hits like “Shine” and “The World I Know,” Collective Soul emerged from the grunge scene with their 1993 debut album “Hints Allegations and Things Left Unsaid.” On their sophomore album “Collective Soul,” the band produced an album of enjoyable singles as well as providing significant depth to a continually change sound.

The early 2000s saw 3 Doors Down experiencing immense of success, with “The Better Life” and “Away From the Sun” both reaching top ten positions on the Billboard 200. Spawning hits like “Be Like That” and “Here Without You,” 3 Doors Down have made a name for themselves in the alternative rock world.

Both groups take to the Seneca Niagara Events Center on August 18.

Beck - Albright Knox Art Gallery

Monday, July 16

From “Loser” to album of the year, Beck has built a career immersed with exponential success.

The slacker rock icon has forged a music career that has garnered continual success with the release of each album, beginning with 1994’s “Mellow Gold” which was released to surprise success.

Beck had all but given up, and lead single “Loser” was written to blow off frustration with his music career. Ten albums later, Beck has amassed four platinum selling albums, two of which are included in Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list.

The Albright Knox Art Gallery doesn’t often host musicians, only one or two a year if any, making this a true one-off show at the historic museum. Past acts include Wilco, My Morning Jacket and the B-52’s

Father John Misty with Lucy Dacus - Canalside

Thursday, July 26

Former Fleet Foxes drummer and backing vocalist Josh Tillman continues to find success under his indie singer/songwriter moniker “Father John Misty.”

His newest album, “God’s Favorite Customer,” reached the top 20 on the Billboard 200 chart and has received critical praise. Father John Misty is one of the most recognizable names in the Canalside concert series this summer.

But opener Lucy Dacus has just as much to offer as the headliner.

With her second LP “Historian,” Dacus has hit her stride as a songwriter and performer that goes beyond prowess for emotion. She has found a true voice as a genuine storyteller, and is capable of taking her listeners with her to the depths of every emotion on her records.

Fleet Foxes - Artpark Amphitheater

Friday, July 27

Hipster-bait Fleet Foxes returns to Buffalo after ten years. Their newest album, 2017’s “Crack-Up,” marked the return of the band after a six year hiatus. The indie-rock group joins the Artpark Amphitheater summer roster along with touring companion, Nilüfer Yanya.

The group has received a massive amount of critical praise over their long career. Their iconic soft, cafe-ready sound has taken the group around the globe. Singer Robin Pecknold’s poetic lyrical arrangements coupled with backing vocal harmonies work together to showcase their honest sound.

Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Canalside

Friday, August 17

With bombastic tracks and performance antics, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones remain an attractive live band that consistently stir the pot with each tour.

Credited with popularizing the ska punk genre in the late 1990s, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones reached their peak with the platinum “Let’s Face It” with the aid of tracks like “The Impression That I Get.” The Bosstones have continued tour extensively following a fall from the mainstream, reaching corners large and small.

Nostalgia acts are all but welcomed and spared from criticism as of late, and the Bosstones are no different.

Beyonce & Jay Z - New Era Field

Saturday, August 18

Superstars Beyonce and Jay Z will be gracing our humble city with their presence over the summer. The power couple brings their tour to upstate New York after years of patient waiting. Their “On the Run II” tour will feature Chloe x Halle and DJ Khaled as openers.

Although  Beyonce has not released any individual work since "Lemonade," the power couple recently released an album together in June called "The Carters." It is speculated that their tour will feature hit songs spanning across their respective careers.

G-Eazy & Lil Uzi Vert- Darien Lake Amphitheater

Friday, August 24

Performing artist G-Eazy is jumping right into “The Endless Summer Tour”following his tour through Europe. The tour will be a follow up to his 2016 tour of the same name. G-Eazy will be promoting his most recent album, “The Beautiful and Damned.” The artist is accompanied by some of hip hop’s biggest names like Lil Uzi Vert and Ty Dolla $ign.

Recently, the artist has received criticism for the narcissistic lyrical tone on his recent album. His incessant touring suggests that he is looking to reach out to his fan base to compensate for producing such an unpopular album.

Jason Aldean - Darien Lake

Friday, August 10

Popular country singer Jason Aldean will be at Darien Lake to sing about drinking beer and driving a truck.

The artist has been granted the position of molding the new age country genre and appealing to a wider audience. Aldean is known for combining country minimalism with meta hip-hop.

Following the release of his newest album “Rearview Town,” Aldean has been touring the country to promote with Michael Knox. The performance is bound to be full of new releases and older hits.