Bulls finish season at home against Miami (OH)

Softball needs to sweep to make it to MAC Tournament

The Bulls conclude their season this weekend in a matchup against the Miami (OH) Redhawks. Buffalo is on the outside looking in, trying to reach the Mid-American Conference softball tournament this season. The Bulls need to sweep the Redhawks and hope Ohio sweeps Bowling Green (25-23, 7-12 MAC) if they want to get in the tournament.

The weekend series could be the final collegiate games for four players. Center fielder Leandra Jew, third baseman Danielle Lallos, first baseman Nicolette Jacobs and utility player Taylor Scott will all be graduating in May.

“We all want to end in a positive way,” Jew said. “We’ve had a rough three years before this and with the new coaches coming in, it’s been a great turnaround and an enjoyable season. Ending it on a positive note and making the conference tournament would be a great way to end our four-year careers.”

In her senior season, Lallos has hit for the most RBIs in her career. Against Canisius (11-32, 7-9 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), Jew and Scott hit their first career home runs back-to-back in an 8-0 win. It is the Bulls’ (15-29, 6-14 MAC) most recent victory.

“It was a great experience,” Jew said. “I’ve been telling myself all four years that I would get one and it finally came. I didn’t even know it off the bat, so I was rounding first and going to second, and I fist pumped and yelled.”

UB softball has lost its past seven games and has not won a game against a MAC opponent since a 4-2 win over Akron (3-41-1, 2-19 MAC) on April 11. Akron accounts for half of Buffalo’s wins in conference play. The Ohio Bobcats (32-14, 18-2 MAC) swept the Bulls in their last series. Buffalo lost by eight or more runs in each contest.

The series against Ohio (22-22, 9-11 MAC) saw the Bulls commit 11 errors in just three games. Head coach Mike Roberts made an adjustment and altered the defensive positioning in game three. The Bulls only committed one error that game.

“We had to change up a little bit. We were struggling,” Roberts said. “I gave the opportunity for some kids who don’t play those spots. I gave them the chance to step up and play a little bit. We’re looking for a combination that’s going to work and win for us.”

In the same series, the Bulls recorded only one run scored. The offense only put up seven hits as Lallos and sophomore second baseman Jenelle Martinez were the only players to get hits in multiple games. Freshman left fielder Anna Aguon has been slumping recently with only three hits in her last six games. The Bulls rely on the offense of Martinez and Aguon as they hit .364 and .336, respectively.

“Anna and Jenelle have been pretty steady all year long,” Roberts said. “They’ve been the kids that have been able to handle the pitching that we’ve faced.”

Miami (OH) is on a two-game winning streak, defeating Akron twice. On offense, senior outfielder Megan Wurts leads the Redhawks. Wurts leads off and bats .331. She has hit seven home runs along with 26 RBIs this season. On the mound, freshman pitcher Courtney Vierstra has a 2.44 ERA in 155 innings pitched. In her most recent outing, she was roughed up for five runs in 2.1 innings by Akron. She is expected to start Friday against the Bulls.

The Bulls’ final series begins on Friday at 3 p.m. and continues Saturday with games at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.

“We just gave ourselves a chance,” Roberts said. “All we wanted was a chance to make the MAC Tournament, and here’s our chance to make it. We’re going to step up this weekend and try to get the sweep to get into it.”

Nathaniel Mendelson is the assistant sports editor and can be reached at nathaniel.mendelson@upspectrum.com.