News briefs

What to know in local, national and global news

Campus

Cain, Hubbard and Miller to receive UB President’s Medal

UB vice presidents Michael E. Cain and Laura Hubbard, and faculty member Cristanne Miller will be honored with the UB President’s Medal for their service to the university during the 2018 commencement ceremonies.

The UB President’s Medal recognizes “outstanding scholarly or artistic achievements, humanitarian acts, contributions of time or treasure, exemplary leadership or any other major contribution to the development of UB,” according to UB Now.

Three UB alumni will also be recognized during the commencement ceremonies.

UB receives $1.1 million award to study viral infections

The National Institutes of Health Fogarty International Center awarded UB a $1.1 million award on Tuesday to train 15 scientists in Jamaica and the Caribbean, and study chronic viral infections, such as HIV, hepatitis B and C, and the Zika virus, according to a press release.

The grant will inspire viral infection research by establishing the Global Infectious Diseases Research Training Program, a joint research project between the UB Center for Integrated Global Biomedical Sciences, University of the West Indies, SUNY Upstate Medical University and Jamaica Ministry of Health.

Local

Cold case closed

Police arrested Joseph Belstadt, a Tonawanda man, for alleged involvement in the 1993 killing of a North Tonawanda High School student Mandy Steingasser, according to The Buffalo News. Belstadt, 43, has been a suspect in the murder since its earliest stages. Police charged him with second-degree murder.

Belstadt repeatedly denied any involvement in the murder during the 24-year investigation. Steingasser disappeared Sept. 20, 1993 after a night of drinking with friends. Investigators from the Niagara County Sheriff's Officefound the 17-year-old’s body at Bond Lake five weeks later.

Belstadt pleaded not guilty Wednesday in Niagara County Court. His bail is set at $250,000 and his trial is scheduled to begin Sept. 10.

Man dies in Seneca Street fire, two injured

A two-alarm fire killed one man and injured two others in the second floor of a bar on Seneca Street early Wednesday morning, according to The Buffalo News.

Charles Drumm, 55, died at Mercy Hospital.

Red Cross volunteers helped four people left homeless by the fire, which spread to two adjacent buildings. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

National

Colorado’s largest school district joins teacher walkout

Denver public schools will join over a dozen Colorado school districts in closing schools or releasing students early because of a classroom-walkout demonstration planned for Thursday and Friday at the state capitol, according to the Denver Post.

Roughly 10,000 teachers are expected to participate in the day-long demonstration.

The state currently underfunds schools by $822 million annually, according to Kerrie Dallman, president of the state’s teachers union.

Colorado is currently ranked 31 out of the 50 states in its average teacher salary at $51,808. The U.S. average is $59,660.

Former California police officer identified as the Golden State Killer

After searching for more than 40 years, authorities have finally identified former California police officer Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, as the Golden State Killer.

Authorities said Wednesday the Golden State Killer became infamous after allegedly committing 12 killings and at least 50 rapes across California from 1976 to 1986, according to CNN.

Global

Indian court sentences guru to life imprisonment for raping a 16 year-old

Asaram Bapu, a self-proclaimed Indian spiritual guru, was sentenced to life in prison on Wednesday for raping a 16 year-old girl in 2013. Asaram, 77, is described on his website as a “spiritual revolutionist,” “a great teacher,” and is one of India’s best-known spiritual gurus.

Asaram’s arrest in 2013 sparked violent clashes between his supporters and police in several major cities, CNN reports. Asaram’s spokesperson told the press that his legal team will challenge the verdict in India’s High Court.

At least 18 killed in deadly fire at illegal oil well in Indonesia

A fire that erupted on Wednesday in Jakarta, Indonesia, killed at least 18 people and injured around 40 others, some who were reported to be badly burned, according to The New York Times.

Although local news reports said that the fire may have started with a spark from a blowtorch or a cigarette, authorities are still trying to determine what caused the fire.

The crude oil well was said to be operated by local residents, and the people responsible for it will be dealt with by the law, said a ministry spokesman.