News briefs

What to know in local, national and global news

Campus

New partnership provides HIV and hepatitis C research opportunities for UB students

UBMD Internal Medicine has partnered with Evergreen Health to serve patients with HIV and hepatitis C, according to UB Now. Students and residents at the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences will research the diseases, looking at ways to improve patient care and outcomes.

Evergreen Health serves 11,000 patients regionally, offering primary care, specialty care, substance user health, mental health and pharmacy services.

Professor’s sports-law blog helps networking law students

Helen A. Drew, an adjunct professor in the School of Law, created a blog with her students to help them develop networking connections within the niche field of sports law.

Drew told UB Now she hopes the UB Law Sports & Entertainment Forum blog will benefit students and alumni involved in sports law and others who share that interest.

So far, students have written about Super Bowl ads and the Larry Nassar trial. She hopes to expand the platform to include entertainment law.

Local

Buffalo Catholic priest accused of sexual abuse

Three men have come forward in the last week, accusing priest Norbert Orsolitis of molesting them as children as far back as the 1960s.

On Tuesday, Orsolitis unexpectedly admitted to molesting “probably dozens” of young boys before entering a Canadian treatment facility, The Buffalo News reported.

The diocese said anyone who made claims before March 1 will be awarded a monetary compensation. The program has received criticism because it will not accept any individuals who make new claims against the priest.

Jim Kelly’s cancer returns

The former Buffalo Bills quarterback Jim Kelly announced that his oral cancer returned for a third time on Thursday.

Kelly was first diagnosed with cancer in his upper jaw in 2013, and doctors declared it in remission as of Sep. 2014. In an interview with The Buffalo News, Kelly said, “I might have lost four Super Bowls in a row, but I've kicked cancer's [butt] twice. And I plan on making it a third, with the grace of God.”

National

East Coast clobbered by bomb cyclone

At least six people –– including two children –– were killed by falling trees during this weekend’s nor’easter storm, CNN reports. The storm also left roughly 900,000 people without power from the Middle Atlantic to New England.

In coastal cities throughout Massachusetts, powerful waves crashed onto properties, causing major flooding and damages.

The storm dumped up to three feet of snow from Ohio to upstate New York during the weekend.

Shooting at Central Michigan University

A student at Central Michigan University fatally shot his parents Friday after they arrived at his dorm to take him home for spring break, CNN reported.

Nineteen-year-old James Eric Davis Jr. used his father’s gun to kill his parents before fleeing the scene. Police arrested Davis Saturday morning near the campus in Mount Pleasant after a 16-hour manhunt.

The shooting comes shortly after Nikolas Cruz killed 17 at a Parkland County high school in Florida, prompting a national call for stricter gun control laws.

Global

Honduras police arrest man associated with murder of environmental activist

Honduras police arrested a high-ranking executive of a hydroelectric company in connection with the 2016 murder of an activist who led a decade-long fight against the company’s dam project, The New York Times reported.

Police detained Roberto David Castillo Mejía, executive president of Desarrollos Energéticos Sociedad Anónima at the Ramón Villeda Morales International Airport in the Honduran capital as he was trying to flee the country Friday.

Mejía is accused of “providing logistics and other resources to one of the perpetrators of the murder,” the Honduran attorney general's office said in a statement.

South Korean delegation heading to Pyongyang

South Korean President Moon Jae-in is sending a 10-person high-level delegation Monday for talks in North Korea’s capital, Pyongyang. The group will discuss inter-Korean relations with hopes of establishing a U.S.-North Korean dialogue on the denucle aarization of the Korean Peninsula, CNN reported.

The party will be lead by National Security Chief Chung Eui-yong and will include president Jae-in’s spy chief and top security adviser. After returning to Seoul for a debriefing, the delegation will leave for the United States to discuss the outcome of their visit.

The news desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com.