Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Buffalo loses in the second round of the NCAA to Kentucky

Bulls lose in the program's first second-round appearance

<p>Junior guard Jeremy Harris with the slam dunk at this years&nbsp;MAC Championship. The Bulls lost in the second round of the NCAA tournament on Saturday to the Kentucky Wildcats.</p>

Junior guard Jeremy Harris with the slam dunk at this years MAC Championship. The Bulls lost in the second round of the NCAA tournament on Saturday to the Kentucky Wildcats.

No.13 Buffalo lost 93-75 to the no.5 Kentucky Wildcats in the second round of the NCAA tournament Saturday afternoon in Boise, Idaho. The Bulls season comes to an end after setting both the program's wins in a season record and making it further in the the NCAA tournament than any other team in program history.

The game stayed close for the first 30 minutes, with the Wildcats leading 51-42 at the end of the first half. Buffalo stayed in it, thanks to senior guard Wes Clark’s shooting. After the Bulls made it a 72-67 Kentucky lead with eight minutes left, the Wildcats went on a 12-2 run to seal the win.

The win marks Kentucky’s forty-third appearance in the sweet 16.

Clark led the Bulls offensively with 26 points and six assists on Saturday. Junior guard CJ Massinburg had a strong game with 17 points and eight rebounds. The Wildcats guards shined with freshmen Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Hamidou Diallo going for a combined 49 points and 14 rebounds. The Wildcats gave the Bulls shooting problems as Buffalo went 26-of-67 and 7-of-31 from deep.

The Bulls are now eliminated following this loss. This is the first season in UB basketball history that a team won the Mid-American Conference season, the MAC championship and won a game in the NCAA Tournament. The Bulls will play next at the start of non-conference in November.

Sports Desk can be reached at: sports@ubspectrum.com