Q&A with Beanie Feldstein

Actress discusses "Lady Bird" and theater production of "Hello, Dolly!"

<p>Beanie Feldstein stars in "Lady Bird" which was released in Nov. 2017. The film has grossed over forty million dollars has received five Academy Award nominations.</p>

Beanie Feldstein stars in "Lady Bird" which was released in Nov. 2017. The film has grossed over forty million dollars has received five Academy Award nominations.

The future is Beanie Feldstein’s to own.

The actress, who recently appeared in the critical sensation “Lady Bird,” is lending her talents to theatre with the Broadway incarnation of “Hello, Dolly!”
Feldstein spoke with The Spectrum in December regarding “Lady Bird,” her work with Netflix as well as her thoughts on working on Broadway.

Q: Having worked in both television and film, how do you compare working on a show for services like Netflix versus feature films or network shows?
A:
I was lucky enough to do “Orange is The New Black,” which streams on Netflix, but I haven’t had any network TV experience. In terms of studio films versus independent films, when it boils down to it, it was a very similar experience. Especially because both of the films I worked on, “Lady Bird” and “Neighbors 2,” were filmed with people that were incredibly passionate about the film they were making, and so there are some differences but really it felt the same in that they were filled with hard working and incredibly passionate people who were excited to be there.

Q: Coming off a successful film like “Lady Bird,” how do you take that experience and move forward?
A: I just feel incredibly lucky to be a part of bringing this film into the world. Greta has created something that is deeply human and vivacious and heartfelt. I’m so grateful to have been a part of it and the fact that we can share it with the world now is incredibly exciting.

Q: What are your thoughts on your current role in “Hello, Dolly!”?
A:
[“Hello, Dolly!”] is so joyous, and I actually got the role in “Hello, Dolly!” because of “Lady Bird.” So “Lady Bird” feels extremely important in terms of the timeline of my life. I like to think of my life in terms of pre-“Lady Bird” and post-“Lady Bird” because it changed so many things for me personally that I’ve met people like Greta [Gerwig] that it led to “Hello Dolly!” which has been my experience in 2017. It has been pure joy, and the company's filled with radiant, talented human beings so it’s been a very special experience.

Brian Evans is a staff writer and can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com.

BRIAN EVANS

Brian Evans is a senior English major and The Spectrum's senior arts editor.

brian.jpg