News briefs

What to know in local, national and global news

Campus

GRoW to relocate to North Campus

UB’s GRoW Home, which stands for Garden, Relax or Work, will be relocated from its current location on South Campus to the Solar Strand on North Campus.

Seven graduate students in Martha Bohm’s fall studio spent the semester developing a vision for the siting of the GRoW Home. The winning proposal belongs to Zachary McCabe and seeks to “open new opportunities to better connect the UB community to the Solar Strand site via the GRoW Home,” according to UB Now.

School of Architecture and Planning to participate at Venice Architecture Biennale

UB’s School of Architecture and Planning will present Buffalo’s story as an invited exhibitor at the 2018 Venice Architecture Biennale.

The six-month biennale is the world’s largest and premier exhibition of architecture and design, that annually fills the streets of Venice with more than 300,000 visitors from around the globe, according to UB Now.

The biennale opens May 26 and runs through November.

Local

More than 50 sewage overflows reported in WNY

The NY-Alert reporting system showed 51 reported overflows from sewage treatment plants across Western New York into area waterways on Monday night.

The reports included an estimated 258,000 gallons of sewage released from the Falls Street sewage outfall at the base of the American Falls, a pair of discharges each around 1 million gallons in Dunkirk into Lake Erie near Wright Park and other damages, according to The Buffalo News.

Tops to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Tops Markets announced on Wednesday morning it will restructure its debt under Chapter 11 of the bankruptcy code, but said store operations will remain unaffected by the move.

According to the supermarket’s website, the company’s filing for reorganization will allow them to restructure its debt so the load is lighter and its payments are more affordable.

All stores will remain open as Tops Markets pursues voluntary financial restructuring to “better position our business for long-term success,” Tops Chairman and CEO Frank Curci said in a statement, according to The Buffalo News.

National

Florida Republicans face pressure to act on gun control

Busloads of survivors of the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School traveled to the State Capitol on Tuesday to pressure the current in-session State Legislature to address gun violence.

In-house Republicans have concluded it would be catastrophic to wrap up without doing something to address the mounting outcry of the student demonstrators, who are ready to demand sweeping gun-control legislation, according to The New York Times.

Global

Syrian airstrikes kill hundreds of civilians

At least 250 civilians died in East Ghouta after two days of constant bombing from the Bashar al-Assad regime. Human rights activists called it a warning that the regime is preparing to destroy the rebel-controlled district.

According to CNN, the UK based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights recorded 106 died on Tuesday. This attack is the highest in a single day since a 2013 chemical attack in the same area that killed approximately 1,400 people.

The constant shelling of the besieged area wounded more than 1,200 people outside Damascus.

The news desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com.