News Briefs

What you need to know locally, nationally and globally

Campus

UB ranked among top universities for international students

UB is ranked among the top 25 institutions for hosting international students. UB is ranked No. 21 by the Institute of International Education (IIE) in the institute’s 2017 Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange. UB had 7,252 graduate students as of 2016. UB has the third highest graduate student population in New York State and the highest number of graduate students among SUNY institutions.

“The fact that UB has retained its ranking in this highly competitive space reflects the extraordinary efforts of our International Enrollment Management staff led by Joseph Hindrawan,” Stephen Dunnett, vice provost for international education told UB Now.

Jacobs School of Medicine begins its move downtown

The Jacobs School of Medicine has commenced its move to the new facility downtown. The move began earlier this month when more than 50 administrative offices moved into the new facility. Most equipment will not be moved until after the semester ends so in order to avoid disrupting instruction. The next phase will start later this month and additional phases will occur over the next several months. The new facility will officially open when medical school classes start on Jan. 8, according to a UB press release.

Locally

Gunman opens fire outside Dollar General

29-year-old Travis Green opened fire at a Cheektowaga Dollar General Tuesday afternoon. The man left the store visibly irate after asking for an application, according to The Buffalo News. He then fired 20 rounds from an AR-15-style rifle while dressed in full body armor and camouflage. Police found 850 rounds of ammunition in Green’s vehicle.

Green shot a 53-year-old man from Cheektowaga in the shoulder. His injury was treated and is now at home recovering with his family, according to The Buffalo News.

Police quickly tackled Green a “short distance” outside the store.

Green has been charged with attempted murder assault, criminal use of a firearm,

reckless endangerment and unlawful use of body armor. He is also charged with misdemeanor count of resisting arrest.

SUNY trustees revoke Harvey Weinstein’s honorary degree from UB

SUNY’s board of trustees unanimously voted with one abstention to revoke Harvey Weinstein’s honorary degree on Wednesday afternoon. SUNY policy states that honorary degrees may be revoked if a recipient's behavior is at odds with SUNY’s mission.

“Mr. Weinstein's alleged misconduct violates the core principles upon which the university was founded and runs counter to the standards of mutual respect and professionalism that the university expects from all members of its community,” SUNY Chancellor Kristina M. Johnson said before the vote, according The Buffalo News.

Nationally

Four dead after California shooting

A gunman opened fire in Tehama County, California Tuesday morning, killing four people. However, a much greater tragedy was avoided when the shooter was blocked from entering Rancho Tehama Elementary School.

The shooter drove his truck through the school’s gate and fired at its walls and windows, according to CNN. After trying to enter the building for several minutes, the shooter reportedly gave up.

One student was injured by a gunshot and others were injured by flying glass. At least ten were injured in total.

Republicans to vote on tax reform bill

House Republicans will vote on their proposed tax reform bill on Thursday.

The proposed plan would cut taxes for businesses and individuals by the end of the year. While the bill has been met with opposition from some Republicans who are concerned about making up revenue from tax cuts and treatment of local and state tax deductions, the GOP is confident the bill will pass, according to NBC News.

Globally

10 killed in Nigerian suicide bombing

Four suicide bombers have killed at least 10 people and injured many more in Maiduguri, Nigeria, according to BBC News. While no group has claimed responsibility for the attack that took place, Boko Haram, an Islamist militant group has carried out several suicide bombings in Maiduguri. Thousands have been killed or forced to leave their homes due to Boko Haram violence in recent years.

Zimbabwe military takes over government

The Zimbabwean military has taken over government power and detained President Robert Mugabe. Officials have stated that the takeover “seems like a coup,” according to BBC News. The military denies their takeover is a coup and have states that Mugabe is safe. The military said they were acting against “criminals” surrounding the president.

Email: news@ubspectrum.com