Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Censure resolution fails in closed ballot vote

UB senators voted against a resolution to censure Dean Robert Shibley

<p>Robert Shibley speaks from podium with President Tripathi beside him.&nbsp;The UB Faculty Senate voted against a resolution Tuesday afternoon&nbsp;to censure Dean of the School of Architecture and Planning Robert Shibley, with 43 opposed, 15 in favor and three abstaining.</p>

Robert Shibley speaks from podium with President Tripathi beside him. The UB Faculty Senate voted against a resolution Tuesday afternoon to censure Dean of the School of Architecture and Planning Robert Shibley, with 43 opposed, 15 in favor and three abstaining.

The UB Faculty Senate voted against a resolution to censure Dean of the School of Architecture and Planning Robert Shibley, with 43 opposed, 15 in favor and three abstaining.

The Senate casted secret ballots after hearing from more than a dozen faculty members and administrators from across the university–– including President Satish Tripathi, Provost Charles Zukoski and Dean Shibley ––at Tuesday’s Senate meeting.

The vote marked the end of a heated debate over whether the Shibley and the School of Architecture and Planning violated the school’s policies and procedures when they chose not to renew an assistant professor.

Although the censure resolution is gone from the Senate floor, contentions regarding the Senate’s role in adjudicating such grievances remain unanswered.

The next Senate meeting is Tuesday, Dec. 12 in the Center for Tomorrow.

Email: news@ubspectrum.com