News Briefs: What to know locally, nationally and globally

Campus

UB dental students give free care to Mayville veterans

UB Dental School is offering free dental care to veterans this week under the Dentistry Smiles on Veterans program, which aims to provide care for veterans without insurance.

The school is driving a 42-foot long van containing three dental chairs to Mayville to treat veterans outside the VFW post. Treatment is limited to the first 100 patients to make an appointment, and the slots are nearly full.

The program is being funded by Delta Dental Foundation and the Office of New York State Senator Catharine Young and runs from Tuesday, Sept. 5 to Friday, Sept. 8, as well as Monday, Sept. 11.

President Tripathi releases statement supporting DACA recipients

President Satish Tripathi released a statement restating UB’s support for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which allows children of undocumented immigrants to reside, work and go to school in the U.S. The White House announced Tuesday afternoon its plan to end DACA, and President Donald Trump took to Twitter urging Congress to work on replacing DACA.

Local

Buffalo Police find blood and bullet casings, no victim, in West Side shooting scene

Police recovered blood and shell casings from two West Side buildings struck by gunfire, according to The Buffalo News. Police did not find a victim. They received reports of the gunfire around 7 p.m. on Tuesday, according to The Buffalo News.

Buffalo School Board searches for Paladino’s replacement

The search to replace ousted board member Carl Paladino is off to a strong start, with 16 candidates so far, according to The Buffalo News. Board members voted forPaladino’s removal after a swirl of controversy involving racially-charged commentary Paladino made in December of 2016. On its face, Paladino’s removal was owing to charges that he improperly disclosed details of teacher contract negotiations.

National

Trump announces end to DACA program

President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday that he would be ending the program for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), to take effect in six months. The Obama administration began the program in 2012 to ensure that the “Dreamers” generation would be allowed to live and work in the U.S. without fear of deportation.

Protests broke out in Washington and around the country, shortly after Attorney General Jeff Sessions delivered Trump’s news. DACA is expected to affect close to 800,000 people living in the U.S.

Hurricane Irma turns deadly

Hurricane Irma, one of the strongest recorded storms in the Atlantic, has two confirmed deaths as of Wednesday, according to The New York Times. The National Hurricane Center described Irma as “potentially catastrophic,” bringing “life threatening wind, storm surge and rainfall hazards.” The National Hurricane Center has issued advisories for two other hurricanes besides Irma, Jose and Katia.

Irma has wind speeds of 185 miles per hour making it a Category 5 storm, classified by sustained winds of greater than 157 mph, according to NPR. President Trump declared a state of emergency as the hurricane threatens to impact Florida, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, according to The New York Times.

Global

Thousands of Rohingya Muslims flee Myanmar

Last week, almost 125,000 Rohingya Muslims fled Myanmar in pursuit of neighboring Bangladesh. According to CNN, Rohingya Muslims are one of the most marginalized groups in the world, facing violent prejudice from other citizens of Myanmar, including the military. Around 400 people died as a result of dramatically increased violence in the past two weeks.

Pope Francis visits Colombia

This week, Pope Francis will visit Colombia at the end of a 52-year war against Marxist guerilla group FARC. On Monday, the Colombian government and the ELN, a smaller rebel group, announced a cease-fire. Last week, the FARC launched a left-wing political party. According to NPR, the pontiff has been planning to visit Colombia once peace negotiations begin, and he hopes his voyage will mark the end of the fighting and a step toward reconciliation in the South American country.

Contact: news@ubspectrum.com