The Grapevine: Your weekly collection of Buffalo’s sonic selections

With the start of the semester, many students find themselves with a little too much free time.

If you need something to look forward to between bookstore trips and decorating, The Spectrum’s got you covered. A variety of shows and events are coming to the Buffalo area this upcoming week, so there’s no need to worry about reading through your syllabi several hundred times.

Friday, Sept. 1

Diana Ross – Seneca Niagara Events Center

Motown queen, Diana Ross, will be making a very special appearance in Niagara Falls this Friday.

The 73-year-old vocalist has proven herself to be one of the most important names in music history. Ross and her group, The Supremes, are the most successful vocal group of all time, with a record 12 number one singles on the Billboard Hot 100. Even if Ross doesn’t perform every one of The Supremes’ hits, surely she’ll bless the audience with one of her five solo chart toppers.

You can see the music legend at 8 p.m. on Friday. Tickets are as low as $67, a fair price for someone who’s won the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Saturday, Sept. 2

UB Fall Fest ft. Lil Uzi Vert, New Politics, Blackbear, Roy Woods – Alumni Arena

If Motown isn’t your forte, SA is offering a variety of genres for their annual Fall Fest this Saturday.

Hip-hop artist, Blackbear, and contemporary soul singer, Roy Woods, will serve as solid opening acts for Fall Fest, leading up to Uzi and New Politics’ performances.

Rapper Lil Uzi Vert has proven himself to be a force to be reckoned with. After scoring his first number one single with Migos on “Bad and Boujee,” Uzi’s “XO Tour LIif3” has gained momentum throughout the year, recently winning Song of the Summer at this year’s MTV Video Music Awards.

Danish rock band New Politics will also be making an appearance Saturday night. The group, notable for their hits “Yeah Yeah Yeah” and “Harlem,” are sure to offer an exciting alternative for the non-rap fans. The trio will be promoting their upcoming October album, Lost in Translation.

Saturday, Sept. 2

Tailor Made ft. Travis Scott, 2 Chainz, Waka Flocka Flame, Keys N Krates and more – Canalside

Fresh off tour with Kendrick Lamar, rapper Travis Scott will be headlining Fanbassador’s first-ever Tailor Made Festival at Canalside this weekend.

Scott, who’s preparing for the release of his upcoming album AstroWorld, will take to the stage to perform hits from his previous releases.

2 Chainz will also be performing to promote his 2017 album, Pretty Girls Like Trap and his popular single 4AM, which features Scott.

Electronic bands DVBBS and Keys N Krates will join rappers PnB Rock, Waka Flocka Flame and Smokepurpp, offering a diverse genre lineup for fans.

If you’re looking to support local talent, you’re in luck. Tailor Made also features opening sets from Buffalo rappers chosen by fans. The show will shine a spotlight on locals like Bill $aber and Dolo Chillin.

For students willing to miss Fall Fest to catch Travis Scott, tickets will cost concertgoers approximately $67 total. Gates to the show open at 1 p.m.

Tuesday, Sept. 5

U2, Beck – New Era Field

Internationally celebrated rock group U2 will be taking their stadium tour to Orchard Park on Tuesday to celebrate the 30th anniversary of their critically acclaimed album, The Joshua Tree.

The Joshua Tree won two Grammy Awards in 1988 and helped secure U2 a spot in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The tour will feature performances of hits like “With or Without You” and “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For.”

Fellow Grammy winner, Beck, will open for the group. The singer famously won Album of the Year at the 2015 Grammy Awards.

Kanye West, despite popular belief, will not be joining Beck on stage during his performance.

Thursday, Sept. 7

Raekwon – Town Ballroom

Hip-hop veteran Raekwon will be serving up East Coast classics at the Town Ballroom next week.

The rapper, famous for his work with the Wu Tang Clan, will play at the general admission venue to promote his most recent project, The Wild. The chef’s Wu-Tang counterpart, Ghostface Killah, recently rocked Canalside in July alongside fellow old-school act Slick Rick.

After joining Wu-Tang in 1992, Raekwon acted as an integral part for Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers, one of the most influential albums in rap history.

The show will serve as the perfect Thursday night out for any hip-hop-head.

Brenton J. Blanchet is the assistant arts editor and can be reached at Brenton.blanchet@ubspectrum.com.

BRENTON J. BLANCHET
brent.jpg

Brenton J. Blanchet is the 2019-20 editor-in-chief of The Spectrum. His work has appeared in Billboard, Clash Magazine, DJBooth, PopCrush, The Face and more. Ask him about Mariah Carey.