Buffalo's Albright-Knox receives historic donation

Illustrious artist leaves her estate to the museum

<p>The Albright-Knox Art Gallery, located at&nbsp;1285 Elmwood Ave, received a generous donation from French artist Marisol's estate.&nbsp;</p>

The Albright-Knox Art Gallery, located at 1285 Elmwood Ave, received a generous donation from French artist Marisol's estate. 

The Albright-Knox Arts Gallery has received its largest single donation of art in its 155-year history.

Marisol, a French artist who passed away last April, donated her estate to the museum. The collection represents the entirety of Marisol’s 60-year career and includes upward of 100 sculptures, 150 works on paper, thousands of photos and slides and a small collection of works from other artists that Marisol had collected.

“Marisol helped define the 1960s through her innovative and groundbreaking work, emerging as one of the most prominent artists of her generation,” said Janne Sirén, the Peggy Pierce Elfvin Director of the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, in a press release. “The Albright-Knox is proud to have been the first museum to acquire Marisol’s work, having purchased her sculptures The Generals from her solo show at the Stable Gallery in 1962 and Baby Girl in 1964. We are moved, and profoundly grateful, that Marisol was similarly proud of her association with the Albright-Knox and took the extraordinary step of leaving her estate to our museum.”

Less than a year ago, Albright-Knox received its largest financial donation of $42.5 million by Jeffrey Gundrach, a billionaire and Amherst native.

Marisol’s Tribeca loft is also awaiting sale. The proceeds for the sale – estimated to be $4-5 billion – will be added to the Gallery’s capital for AK360 – an expansion project, which will include a gallery named in Marisol’s honor.

David Tunis-Garcia is the arts editor and can be reached at david.garcia@ubspectrum.com