Rundown: This week in UB Athletics

<p>Sophomore guard Dontay Caruthers takes a layup against Northern Illinois. UB men’s basketball has been playing their best basketball of the season lately.</p>

Sophomore guard Dontay Caruthers takes a layup against Northern Illinois. UB men’s basketball has been playing their best basketball of the season lately.

Men’s basketball (13-12, 7-5 Mid-American Conference)

Buffalo’s men’s basketball team continued its win streak this week when they picked up two more victories against the Northern Illinois Huskies and Bowling Green Falcons. They defeated the Huskies 65-45 on Tuesday night and followed that up with an 88-74 win against the Falcons.

Sophomore guard CJ Massinburg led the way Tuesday with 17 points. Sophomore forward Nick Perkins was the only other Bull to finish in double digits, putting up 11 points and also adding 12 boards. The scoring spread out more Saturday with four Bulls finishing in double digits. Senior wing Willie Connor had a standout performance with 15 points and 12 rebounds.

Women’s basketball (16-7, 6-6 MAC)

The women’s team suffered a tough loss Saturday as they fell to the Northern Illinois Huskies 89-80. The Bulls had their highest scoring output of the season but a 16-0 run by the Huskies to start the fourth quarter was too much to overcome.

The team entered the final quarter up by five but fell behind after the run and never caught up. Junior guard Stephanie Reid was the biggest contributor of the night with 18 points, 12 rebounds and 6 assists. Junior forward Courtney Wilkins finished with a career-high 18 points.

Track & field

The track & field team competed in the Spire D-1 invitational over the weekend. The team was extremely successful and broke three program records at the event. Senior Barrett Kemp got things started Friday when he broke the program’s 5000-meter record. He finished in 14:20.25, 18 seconds faster than his personal record heading into the event.

Senior Joshua Gali found his way into the record book for the second straight weekend. After setting a program record in the 200-meter last weekend, he broke the program record in the 400-meter on Saturday. Gali kept up the momentum and along with his teammates, freshman Gyasi Morris, senior Craig Kaiser and junior Mitchell Moore, set the record for the 4x400 relay.

Wrestling (10-6, 4-3 MAC)

The wrestling team lost a hard fought contest this week when they visited the Northern Iowa Panthers. The Panthers have six wrestlers ranked in their weight class and five of them picked up victories in their 22-16 win Friday.

Redshirt sophomore 133-pounder Bryan Lantry entered the match as the No. 16 ranked 133-pounder in the nation. Lantry defeated the No. 10 wrestler in his weight class with a third period escape that gave him a 4-3 win. Redshirt junior 141-pounder Jason Estevez got his first MAC dual win for the season.

Men’s tennis (2-3)

Men’s tennis looked dominant in their victory over the Army Black Knights 6-1 Saturday. The Bulls went 2-1 in doubles to get the point and won all but one singles match. Junior Vidit Vaghela fell in first singles in a match that went to a super tiebreaker. Freshman Hao Sheng Koay had a great performance in second singles and won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0.

Women’s tennis (2-1)

The women’s tennis team lost their first match of the season this week. The West Virginia Mountaineers won the match 4-3. The Bulls were able to capture the doubles point but lost in singles play 4-2.

Sophomore Chantal Martinez Blanco won her match in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4. Freshman Anna Savchenko scored the other singles point for the Bulls after her match went to the third set where her opponent was forced to retire.

Swimming

After a great performance last week in Cleveland, the Bulls swim team had two members named the MAC swimmers of the week. Junior Hudson Carroll was named the men’s swimmer of the week after two individual wins as well as a win in the relay. Sophomore Julia Box was a co-winner on the women’s side. She also posted two individual wins along with a first place relay finish.

Daniel Petruccelli can be reached at daniel.petruccelli@ubspectrum.com