The Rundown: Week in UB Athletics

<p>Sophomore pitcher Ally Power throws a pitch. The Bulls struggled over the weekend as they opened their season.</p>

Sophomore pitcher Ally Power throws a pitch. The Bulls struggled over the weekend as they opened their season.

Softball (0-5)

Over the weekend, the Bulls (0-5) traveled to Hammond Louisiana and competed in the Southeastern Louisiana Tournament to start the season. On Friday, the Bulls played a doubleheader, losing 9-1 to the Southeastern Louisiana Lions (6-2) and then losing 4-0 to the Morehead State Eagles (4-4). On Saturday, the Bulls played another doubleheader, this time losing 12-3 to the UT Arlington Mavericks (5-4), and then losing 12-3 to the Alcorn State Braves (3-2).

The Bulls dropped their final game of the weekend 8-7 in extra innings against Southeast Missouri State. The Bulls next away game is against George Mason (0-5) on Feb. 24.

Baseball (1-2)

This weekend, the Bulls began their season with a three game road series against the UT Martin Skyhawks (2-1). The Bulls started the series strong with a 10-2 win on Friday. Senior starting pitcher Alec Tuohy got his first win of the season, pitching five innings, only letting up two hits, no runs and five strikeouts. On Saturday, the Bulls did not fair as well, losing 14-0 to the Skyhawks.

The third game was the closest one and came down to the ninth inning. The Skyhawks hit a fielder’s choice in the bottom of the ninth and scored on a throwing error from first base to home. The Bulls next away series starts on Feb. 24 against the Murray State Racers (2-0).

Wrestling (11-5, 4-4 MAC)

On Friday, the Bulls (10-6) finished their regular season with an away meet against the Binghamton Bearcats (9-7). The Bulls beat the Bearcats with an impressive 31-9 victory, winning eight of the 10 matches. Sophomore Brian Lantry had another strong performance with a fall over win over Binghamton's freshman Audey Ashkar. That makes for Lantry’s sixth straight win and fifth pin of the season.

Sophomore Brett Perry had the biggest win of his collegiate career, getting a 7-6 decision win over No. 15 Steve Schneider from Binghamton. This was the first time Perry beat a ranked opponent. The Bulls next event will be the MAC Championship starting March 4.

Men’s basketball (15-12, 9-5 MAC)

The Bulls (15-12, 9-5) continued their current win streak on Saturday with a 71-58 win over the Miami (OH) Redhawks (9-18, 3-11) at home. This marks the sixth straight win for the Bulls, after going 9-12 earlier this season.

This win marks another quality performance from senior Blake Hamilton who had 23 points and went 8-13 from the field. Much of Hamilton's success came from behind the three-line, going 5-7 from the backcourt. Sophomore guard Dontay Caruthers had a solid game as well, having 12 points for the day along with seven assists and three steals. The Bulls will look to make it seven straight with their next home game against Kent State (15-12, 7-7) on Feb. 21.

Women’s basketball (18-7, 8-6 MAC)

On Saturday, the Bulls (17-7, 7-6) won their second straight game with an 81-51 home win over the Akron Zips (9-16, 2-12). The 81 points scored mark a season high. The Bulls took control of the game early, taking a 22-5 lead at the end of the first quarter and never looking back. Stephanie Reid had an exceptional performance, having 17 points while shooting 7-8. Reid recorded 11 assist as well, marking her seventh game with 10 or more assist. The Bulls will look to continue their winning ways with their upcoming home game on Feb. 22 against the Ohio Bobcats (17-8, 9-5).

Men’s tennis (3-3)

Men’s tennis won their only match of the weekend against the Quinnipiac Bobcats (5-3). They dominated the event and won 7-0. The Bulls won all three double match ups to start the day. They continued into singles where all seven Bulls won their match in straight sets.

Buffalo visits Cleveland State (4-4) Saturday.

Women’s tennis (3-2)

Women’s tennis lost 6-1 at Syracuse on Saturday. Syracuse (2-4) won the doubles point after taking two out of three doubles matches. Freshman Anna Savchenko was the only Bull to win her singles match. Buffalo lost super tiebreakers on both third and fourth singles.

Buffalo dominated the Quinnipiac Bobcats (4-3) 7-0 in their second match of the week. The Bulls won easily and took every match in straight sets.

The Bulls will next be in action Saturday against Binghamton at the Miller Tennis Center in Buffalo.

Sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com