News Briefs: What to know locally, nationally, and globally

<p></p>

Campus:

President Tripathi signs letter concerning immigration

President Satish Tripathi along with many other college and university presidents nationwide signed a letter on Friday to President Donald Trump, according to a press release. The letter was asking Trump to rescind his executive order of the immigration ban. The letter said the order “unfairly targets” the seven countries. UB is continuing to monitor how the executive order will affect the UB population.

UB debuts Clinical and Translational Science Institute

UB debuted its newly renamed clinical consortium the Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) on Feb. 3. The renaming was done in “an effort to more accurately reflect its collaborative and scientific missions,” according to a UB news release. CTSI’s new logo is also consistent with UB’s rebranding initiative, which started last year. CTSI won the Clinical and Translational Science Award from the National Institutes of Health in 2015.

Locally:

Federal judge to allow for the transport of liquid nuclear waste on Peace Bridge

A U.S. District Court Judge ruled Thursday that the U.S. Energy Department met its requirements for transporting 6,000 gallons of liquid nuclear waste material from Ontario to South Carolina, according to The Buffalo News.

The nuclear waste shipments could be shipped over Peace Bridge and through Buffalo. The shipments are part of an effort to “repatriate” its nuclear material.

“Know your rights” open house held in Buffalo

An informational open house in Buffalo on Saturday welcomed refugees and immigrants. Interpreters of nine languages attended the open house, according to TWC. A crowd of people raised a flag that said “Refugees welcome” with Mayor Byron Brown earlier that morning.

This event was held one day after Trump’s controversial immigration ban was put to a nationwide halt.

Nationally:

Court of Appeals denies Trump’s immigration ban request

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit issued a ruling on Friday, which denied Trump’s request for an “immediate stay” on the temporary block of his travel ban executive order, according to CNN. Trump called the decision "ridiculous" and referred to the judge as a "so-called judge."

Trump’s Department of Justice filed an appeal against the ruling on Saturday. They argued the power to “expel or exclude aliens is a fundamental sovereign attribute, delegated by Congress to the executive branch of government and largely immune from judicial control." The Appeals court will make a final decision in the ruling on Monday.

Trump defends Putin

Trump defended Russian President Vladimir Putin in a Fox News interview with Bill O’Reilly, which aired on Sunday. Trump said people who think the U.S. does not engage in “strongman practices” are naive.

Trump also said while he has respect for many people, “that doesn't mean [he’s] going to get along" with Putin. He also said Putin could be a valuable ally to the U.S. through its fight against terror. When O’Reilly responded stating that Putin was a killer, Trump said, "There are a lot of killers. We've got a lot of killers. You think our country's so innocent?"

Globally

Global protests ensue against Trump’s executive order

Protesters gathered internationally in cities like London, Paris, Berlin and Sydney to rally against Trump’s travel ban. Thousands of people marched from the U.S. Embassy to Downing Street against the executive order on Feb. 4 in London. People also marched from the Brandenburg Gate to the U.S. Embassy in Berlin. They held signs that read, “Let them in,” “Liberty” and “No to Trump.”

Avalanches in Pakistan and Afghanistan leaves at least 59 dead

A mass of snow provoked a series of avalanches along the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan, which killed at least 59 people in the two countries, according to CNN. The death toll may increase as more victims are being discovered, the Nuristan Province Governor Hafiz Abdul Qayum said.

News desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com