News briefs: What to know locally, nationally and globally

<p></p>

Campus:

UB Center for the Arts to host seventh annual Chinese New Year celebration

The UB Confucius Institute (UBCI) and the Chinese Club of Western New York (CC-WNY) will host a Chinese New Year celebration at 2:30 p.m. on Jan. 28 in UB’s Center for the Arts. The free event will feature members of the UB Chinese Club as well as students from UBCI performing traditional and contemporary Chinese dances. This year’s celebration takes place on the day of the Chinese New Year, a holiday based on the lunar calendar.

UB professor receives Atwood award for aerospace engineering

John L. Crassidis, a professor in space situational awareness in UB’s school of engineering won the 2016 J. Leland Atwood Award from the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA).

The national award recognizes Crassidis for his “commitment to excellence in aerospace engineering education,” according to the UB news release. Crassidis is a three-time UB alumnus. He is the lead investigator for UB’s participation in the Air Force’s University Nanosat Program and NASA’s CubeSat Initiative.

Locally:

Thousands rally in downtown Buffalo for women’s rights

Thousands of protesters gathered in downtown Buffalo on Saturday to march in unity with protesters across the country. The peaceful protest was a collective effort of 34 local groups in Buffalo.

There were no arrests or issues reported, according to the Buffalo Police Department.

Buffalo Police arrest suspect in connection with Bailey Avenue fire

A fire broke out on Saturday morning in a two-story, 10-room apartment building at 437 Bailey Ave., according to The Buffalo News. Buffalo Police have arrested a 63-year-old man, Roger Cornell and say he used an incendiary device to start the fire.

Although no one was hurt, the fire has left roughly 18 people homeless, according to WGRZ.

Nationally:

Donald Trump now 45th U.S. president

Donald Trump was officially named president of the United States, following his inauguration on Jan. 20. Trump, 70, is now the oldest president to be sworn in for the first term in U.S. history, according to The New York Times. He is also the first president that has not held a public office or military position.

“I will fight for you with every breath in my body, and I will never, ever let you down,” Trump said in his inauguration speech. “America will start winning again, winning like never before.

Women’s March makes national history

Protesters in cities across the U.S. gathered on Jan. 21 to rally for women’s rights. Just one day after President Trump’s inauguration, thousands of protesters gathered in cities such as Chicago, New York City, Los Angeles and Washington D.C. Several protesters expressed their distaste with Trump’s presidency during the march.

The march made U.S. history with 500,000 protesters gathering in Washington D.C., according to The New York Times. Three million people participated in the protests globally according to NBC News. Several celebrities and influencers gave speeches during the march including singer Janelle Monae, actress Scarlett Johansson and feminist icon Gloria Steinem.

“Make sure you introduce yourselves to each other and decide what we’re going to do tomorrow, and tomorrow and tomorrow,” Steinem said. “We’re never turning back!”

Protesters also gathered internationally in cities such as Sydney, Berlin, London, Paris, Nairobi and Cape Town.

Globally:

Israeli leader accepts invitation from Trump to visit U.S.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accepted an initiation to visit the White House next month, according to The New York Times. Netanyahu hopes to form a “common vision” for Israel in collaboration President Donald Trump. After eight years of strained relations with President Obama, Netanyahu has welcomed Trump’s election as an opportunity to improve ties with the United States.

Fighting and drone strikes in Yemen kill roughly 75

Resumed fighting in the Yemen conflict killed about 75 people over the weekend, according to The New York Times. The attacks included two drone strikes, which are believed to be the first drone attacks launched under the Trump administration. Yemeni news reports said ten Al Qaeda militants were killed in the attacks.

News desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com