Racial slur graffiti found in UB Capen Hall bathroom

University Police are investigating the graffiti with no leads so far

A UB staff member reported racial slur graffiti in a men’s bathroom in Capen Hall on Nov. 22. University police immediately began investigating the crime and facilities removed the graffiti, according to UPD.

The graffiti appears to be an isolated incident, according to UB spokesperson John Della Contrada.

UPD would not say what was written but photos were taken at the scene. UPD currently has no leads. Last March, anti-semitic slurs were found in another Capen Hall restroom. The university never found the person responsible.

Last November, the words “Gay Only,” “White” and “Black is Cool” were found in three different locations in Slee Hall. UB President Satish Tripathi responded by issuing an open letter to UB Reporter, in which he said he was disappointed with the “intolerant language.”

“Racially discriminatory conduct has no place at the University at Buffalo and will not be tolerated,” Della Contrada said in an email. “When acts motivated by hatred or discrimination occur, the university will respond promptly to protect the safety and well-being of the entire university community. Diversity, inclusion and mutual respect are strongly held values of our university.”

Della Contrada said if UPD finds the person responsible, they will be charged with a misdemeanor. If the person is a student, they will be referred to the Student-Wide Judiciary. If the person is an employee, they will be charged and referred to Human Resources for further action.

Sarah Crowley is the assistant news editor and can be reached at sarah.crowley@ubspectrum.com