UB remembers former faculty members John Ho, Patricia Burns and Kenneth Levy

Three former UB faculty members – John Ho, Patricia Burns and Kenneth Levy – died last month.

Ho, former vice provost for graduate education and dean of the graduate school at UB, died on Sept. 22 after a battle with pancreatic cancer. Ho was 74 years old.

Ho was a SUNY Distinguished Service Professor, according to Charles Zukoski, UB provost and executive vice president for academic affairs.

“UB is stronger because of [Ho’s] many contributions. He was a consummate university citizen and colleague and will be greatly missed,” Zukoski said in an email to faculty last week.

Ho brought his “student-focused perspective” to roughly 130 committees that “contributed to UB’s strength and excellence,” according to Zukoski.

A memorial service for Ho will take place at 3:30 p.m. Oct. 18 in the Center for the Arts Screening Room.

Burns, a retired UB nursing faculty member and former dean of the College of Nursing at the University of Florida, died Sept. 21 after a long illness. Burns was 77 years old. Burns was a recipient of the Distinguished Alumni Award in 2011 and established the Dr. Patricia A. Burns Doctor of Nursing Practice Student Scholarship in the UB School of Nursing.

Levy, a former psychology professor, died Sept. 10. Levy was 69 years old. He worked at UB for more than 38 years and was the chair of Department of Psychology, dean of the former Faculty of Social Sciences, acting chair of the Economics and Statistics departments and acting provost and senior vice provost.

UB has only released a statement on Ho’s passing.

Hannah Stein is the co-senior news editor and can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com