Buffalo Halloween events for the above-average scare

<p>Mohawk Place, located on Mohawk Street, will feature local bands, such as Stress Dolls, The Naturalists and One Way Terror, on Oct. 29.</p>

Mohawk Place, located on Mohawk Street, will feature local bands, such as Stress Dolls, The Naturalists and One Way Terror, on Oct. 29.

Halloween in college is far different from the celebration at home, especially the party scene. Trick-or-treating and quiet backyard parties are replaced with big music events and club specials throughout Halloween weekend. Pick out your most ghoulish garb and grab some witches to celebrate at these seven events.

Showplace Theater: 1st Annual Halloween Party

Oct. 28, 7 p.m.

1065 Grant St.

Celebrate the grand reopening of the Showplace Theater hosted by Kiss 98.5’s DJ Anthony and Shy Guy Shawn.

Presale tickets are $15 and tickets are $20 at the door. Put on your best costume and make your way out to Grant Street to see this revamped part of town, located right near the Buffalo State college campus.

Live DJ’s Paul Foxe and Sammy Diaz will be spinning classic jams and modern dance songs. A costume contest will be held including $3,000 in cash and prizes. The grand winner will receive $1,500 in cash.

Riviera Theater: Rocky Horror Picture Show Party

Oct. 28, 10 p.m.

67 Webster St.

“Rocky Horror Picture Show” has had a cult following since it was released in 1975. The film is a comedic yet dramatic adaptation of the musical “The Rocky Horror Show.” Fans who attend the midnight movie typically dress in drag.

The pre-show event and movie is $17 and it is $5 for the movie only.

Celebrate one of the longest-running releases in film history. The movie starts at midnight, but prior to the show the Ladies of Illusion, Jayme Coxx and Joyryde will be on stage for a pre-show extravaganza. A costume contest with prizes will also be held at the theater.

Club Venu: Buffalo’s Largest 18+ Halloween Party

Oct. 28, 10 p.m.

75 West Chippewa St.

Club Venu is the spot for those not old enough to head into the bars on Halloween. The event is sponsored by Redbull and features two floors of music, art light, lasers and cryo effects.

Tickets are $15 presale and $20 at the door for those 18+ with valid ID. Costume contest prizes included $1,000 cash prize and a 70-inch TV giveaway – so be sure to look extra unearthly.

Connecticut Street Armory: Buffalo’s Biggest Halloween Bash

Oct. 29, 6 p.m.

6114 Broadway Ave.

Give back this Halloween and attend Buffalo’s Biggest Halloween Bash, a charity event for the Variety Kids Telethon. Tickets are $20 for those 21+ and $25 at the door. The entertainment lineup includes live performances by local 11-piece band Tiger Chung Lee and DJ Mighty. The annual event has everything a goblin could ask for with food, drinks and music.

The costume contest shells out a whopping $2,500 grand prize for best costume, with an additional $250 dollars for best Hillary Clinton costume and $250 for best Donald Trump costume.

Mohawk Place: Halloween party

Oct. 29, 8 p.m.

47 E. Mohawk St.

This Halloween party will be held at one of Buffalo’s busiest music venues, which is holding a tribute to the Melvins, Pixies, Kiss, and Weezer.

Some of the local bands covering classic rock legends include Stress Dolls, The Naturalists, and One Way Terror.

Celebrate Halloween with some talented local bands covering classic rock groups. Costumes are expected and prizes will be awarded to the best dressed. The event is $5.

Dnipro Ukrainian Cultural Center: The Rave That Must Not Be Named

Oct. 29, 9 p.m.

562 Genesee St.

This Harry Potter themed event is for anyone looking to womp wizard style. Tickets are $27 to $30 in advance and more at the door for those 18+ with valid ID. Headliners include local band Subsoil and electronic group Space Junk. Featured performances include MC ZEE from Canada and trance performer Oddity.

There will also be a costume contest with $1000 in cash and prizes. The floor will be decked out in decoration, so head downtown for a magical night.

Club Marcella: 22nd Annual Halloween Bash

Oct. 29, 10 p.m.

439 Pearl St.

Club Marcella, the oldest gay nightclub in Buffalo, is ready to get down and scary. There is a $5 cover for 21+ all night, $10 cover for under 21 before midnight and $15 dollar cover for under 21 after midnight.

DJ Charles Masters and DJ Lil Joe will keep it loud and lush all night. Jayme Coxx and a special guest performer will put on a guest show at midnight. The Halloween costume contest begins at 1 a.m. with categories for best drag, scariest and best costume bosting over $1,000 in cash and prizes.

Andrew Safe and Carlos Leyte are staff writers and can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com