Political news briefs: This week in the election

UN Rights Chief says Trump presidency would be a global danger

Zeid Raad al-Hussein, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, said at a news briefing in Geneva, the U.S. electing Trump would pose a global danger. Trump has advocated for increased water boarding and torture on terror suspects.

His comments on immigrants, particularly Mexican, have also raised questions about human rights. Hussein said he did not want to interfere with the U.S. election outcome, but felt compelled based on these issues to speak out.

Trump has also expressed disdain toward the UN, calling it an enemy of democracy and criticizing U.S. spending on it.

Notable Republicans abandoning Trump

CNNcompiled a list of prominent Republicans who have abandoned Trump since audio was released on Oct. 7 of Trump making lewd comments about women. Idaho Senator Mike Crapo announced Oct. 8 he would be pulling his support. New Hampshire Senator Kelly Ayotte said she would vote for Trump but “not formally endorse him.”

Arizona Senator and former Republican presidential candidate John McCain said Trump’s comments made him “impossible to support” any longer. Former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice called for Trump to withdraw from the election.

Several other senators, congressmen and governors criticized Trump’s comments, but have not outright denounced him. Former Republican nominees Carly Fiorina, Jeb Bush and John Kasich, have said this proves their long-held “Never Trump” position.

Poll finds Clinton and Trump tied in Utah

A Y2 Analytics poll found Trump and Clinton polling with 26 percent each in Utah. If Trump doesn’t win Utah, it will be the first time since 1964 that a Republican candidate didn’t win the state. The Clinton campaign has targeted the Mormon population in Utah, both to win votes and to force Trump to spend resources in a state that usually votes Republican.

Clinton’s campaign published an opinion piece in a Mormon newspaper, bashing Trump’s proposed ban on Muslims. The campaign thought religious persecution would resonate with Mormon’s history, according to CNN.

Clinton campaign concerned over voter turnout

Trump Tweeted that he was glad the “shackles had been taken off me and I can now fight for America the way I want to.” Here, he refers to his recent loss in support from the party and his ability to campaign without the GOP establishment controlling how he does it. Clinton campaign aides voiced concern over the idea of “Trump unshackled” because they fear he will “get nastier with Clinton” and eventually disgust voters to the point of ambivalence.

In early 2016, Clinton aides viewed Trump’s comments about Latinos, Muslims and women as mobilizing for those voter groups. Now they say they are afraid people are turned off to the election and will not go out to the polls at all.

News desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com