News briefs: What you need to know locally, nationally and globally

Locally:

Niagara Falls Boulevard becomes the deadliest road in the Buffalo area

Five people were killed on Niagara Falls Boulevard within the past three years. This road has become the deadliest stretch for pedestrians in Buffalo, according to The Buffalo News.

A 67 year-old man was killed on Thursday by a pickup truck. He was crossing seven lanes of traffic against the traffic signal to a bus stop at about 6:40 a.m. The man has not yet been identified. The area is about a half-mile away from where a 62-year-old man was killed on Aug. 30. The area is a few hundred feet from where two women were killed in separate instances in 2013.

UB fraternity brothers halt alleged mugger

Three UB fraternity brothers from Sigma Tau Gamma stopped an alleged mugger on Wednesday night, according to WKBW. Ryan Wood, Anthony Spara and Brandon Ferris chased the mugger down the street and held him down until police arrived at the scene. The mugger stole a wallet, cell phone, cigarettes, and a pizza, according to Buffalo Police. Police were able to recover the wallet.

Law school surpasses its $30 million fundraising goal

UB’s Law School reached its $30 million fundraising goal on Sept. 19.

The seven-year campaign will provide scholarships, faculty support and programming and facilities improvements at the school, according to a UB news release.

UB Law School dean Jim Gardner said the law school has “more than tripled” its scholarship aids for students, added five more faculty positions and enhanced the technology in O’Brian Hall.

Nationally:

Wells Fargo to settle allegations of illegally repossessing 413 service members’ cars

One Sept. 8, Wells Fargo fired 3,500 of its employees for secretly creating two million unauthorized accounts and had to pay a penalty. Most recently, Wells Fargo will pay $4.1 million to settle charges that it illegally repossessed 413 service members’ cars without court order, according to CNN. The illegal repossessions occurred from 2008 to 2015.

Wells Fargo then auctioned his car to try to collect $10,000 from his family. Wells Fargo released an apology statement for its service members and will be compensating $10,000 to each of the affected service members in 60 days in addition to interest and repair in their credit. The company is currently facing lawsuits from its customers, former employees and shareholders.

Six year-old boy shot in South Carolina school

Jacob Hall, a six year-old boy, died on Saturday after a shooter opened fire in Townville Elementary School on Wednesday.

Hall was critically wounded and was placed on life support after the shooting, according to NBC News. He was rushed to Greenville Health System Children’s Hospital, where he went into cardiac arrest and ultimately died.

A 14 year-old boy has been accused of the shooting.

Los Angeles police investigating fatal shooting by officer

The Los Angeles Police Department is currently investigating the fatal shooting of a black man. The shooting occurred after officers tried to perform a traffic stop on a vehicle on Saturday afternoon, according to CNN. The officers said they suspected the vehicle was stolen.

The LAPD Chief of Police and board of commissioners will determine if the officers followed procedure. The Los Angeles District Attorney's Office also

Globally:

Hurricane Matthew expected to gain speed

Hurricane Matthew continues this week as a “very strong” category 4 “ferocious” hurricane, according to CNN. The storm was briefly a category 5 storm, which means it became the strongest hurricane in the Atlantic Ocean since Felix in 2007. The storm is projected to gain speed on Oct. 3 morning over Jamaica. The rainfall in Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Haiti and Cuba is predicted to produce “life-threatening flash floods and mudslides.”

The U.S. moved 700 employees and their families from the naval base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba

Many airlines such as American Airlines, JetBlue and Delta Airlines have issued travel warnings. The U.S. State Department issued a travel warning on Sunday telling U.S. citizens to leave quickly if they can.

It’s too early to determine whether the storm will affect the U.S., according to the National Weather Service.

Syrian hospital attacked

Kindi Hospital, located in Northern Aleppo in Syria, was bombed for the second time in a week on Sunday, according to CNN. There were no casualties resulting from the attack.

Russia has warned the United States from retaliating against Syria for the attack, according to the Sputnik News Agency.

Secretary of State John Kerry said he “argued for the use of force” in a meeting with Syrian civilians but “lost the argument.”

Asia’s first babies born with Zika-related birth defect

Thailand confirmed on Friday that two Asian babies had a Zika-related birth defect called microcephaly, an abnormally small head, according to CNN. This defect is the result of pregnant mothers contracting the Zika virus.

Roughly 30 Singaporean women who tested positive for Zika, are on Thailand’s watch list. Singapore has also seen a recent spread of the virus. The Zika virus is spreading in at least 60 countries according to the World Health Organization and the Center for Disease Control.

News Desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com