News briefs - 10/10

What you need to know locally, nationally and globally

<p></p>

Local

Buffalo Columbus Day rally is part of “growing national backlash”

National backlash against the observance of Columbus Day caused Buffalonians to hold a rally for “a call to action” Monday morning, according to The Buffalo News. The rally and news conference was held at 11 a.m. in front of the Army Corps of Engineers’ Buffalo office at 1776 Niagara St.

Members and supporters aimed to bring awareness to the challenges facing Native Americans in today’s world. They want to rename the holiday Indigenous Peoples Day. The groups are circulating a petition for the holiday to be renamed and they plan to present it to Buffalo Mayor Byron W. Brown and members of the Buffalo Common Council.

UB Foundation rejects a student and faculty member from joining its board

The executive committee of the UB Foundation rejected a request from Philip Glick, a student and a professional staff member to join the board, according to The Buffalo News.

This request was made in addition to many attempts from UB faculty members and state legislators to “pry” for more information from the foundation, such as how it receives and spends its money.

Foundation Chairman Francis Letro informed Glick, chairman of the Faculty Senate, of the decision and Glick relayed this information at the Faculty Senate executive meeting last week.

Glick said Letro said the foundation is “sufficiently transparent the way it is.”

United University Professions, a union representing employees at New York State-operated colleges including UB, pledged to “push for new legislation,” which will make campus foundations subject to oversight by the state Comptroller’s Office.

“Tripathi suggested in a brief interview that campus foundations would oppose the UUP proposal,” according to The Buffalo News.

National

Two police officers are shot and killed in California

Two police officers were killed in Palm Springs on Saturday while responding to a call about domestic disturbance, according to The New York Times. One of the victims was Officer Zerebny, a young mother, and Officer Vega, a veteran. Vega worked in the department for 35 years and was close to retirement.

Suspect John Felix, 26, was arrested and will be charged with two counts of murder of a police officer.

Three children caught with clown masks in Albuquerque

Three young boys were arrested after being caught wearing clown masks and carrying handguns in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Police found the three children outside of a clothing store, according to FOX News. Police are currently investigating the incident.

Global

Hurricane Matthew deemed a post-tropical cyclone

Hurricane Matthew still has maximum sustained winds of 75 mph despite its new title, according to CNN.

The storm has killed hundreds of people in the Caribbean and more than 330 people died in Haiti. At least 17 people died in four states – seven people in North Carolina, four in Florida, three in Georgia and three in South Carolina.

One thousand people in North Carolina have been rescued from the storm and 3,000 people are living in shelters. Hurricane Matthew has killed 877 people in Haiti so far, before the storm moved north on Saturday.

President Obama said on Sunday that those affected from the storm will receive the aid they need.

Forecasters predict the storm will die out in the Atlantic Ocean within the next 48 hours.

U.S. accuses Russia of intervening in presidential election

The Department of Homeland Security and Office of the Director of National Intelligence announced on Oct. 7 in a joint statement, “We believe, based on the scope and sensitivity of these efforts, that only Russia's senior-most officials could have authorized these activities.” The announcement referred to e-mails between Democratic National Committee (DNC) officials leaked over summer 2016. Russia rejected the accusations, according to CNN.

News desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com