UB women’s soccer falls in final non-conference game

Bulls lose 2-0 to Syracuse

<p>Sophomore Defender Nicole Gerritz hits a cross against Brown University.</p>

Sophomore Defender Nicole Gerritz hits a cross against Brown University.

Coming off a five game unbeaten streak, women’s soccer (3-3-2) team fell to the Syracuse Orange (7-1-1) 2-0 Wednesday night at SU Soccer Stadium. Junior forward Sheridan Street and junior midfielder Alana O’Neill both contributed goals for the Orange.

“It’s one thing when you lose to a good team and you put a performance in,” said head coach Shawn Burke. “But really disappointed in the lack of performance from a lot of players today.”

The Bulls weren’t able to get much going against a Syracuse defense that has now gone 300 minutes without allowing a goal. SU’s aggressive play suffocated the Bull’s offense. The Bulls began to make mental mistakes while unable to get the ball moving,

“Most of our pressure came from self-inflicted giveaways in the back,” Burke said. “They were kind of letting us get one pass and then pressing us and I thought that was where are backline struggled… we turned the ball over because of that pressure.”

The defense struggled throughout the night as they allowed 21 shots, 12 of which were on goal, from the potent Syracuse offense. It was clear that the team was missing sophomore defender Nicole Gerritz, who was unable to travel with the team because of an illness.

Buffalo managed to keep Syracuse off the board in the first half, thanks in part to junior goalkeeper Laura Dougall who had 10 saves in the game. Street finally broke the tie when she scored in the 63rd minute.

The Bulls pressed hard after the goal to make a comeback. They were able to stay within striking distance the whole game. With a corner kick in the 89th minute, Buffalo had a final opportunity to tie the game. Syracuse managed to clear the ball and O’Neill put the game out of reach on a breakaway goal.

“We didn’t execute the corner late, but when you’re pressing their in desperation you’re going to get caught up, it was really just a player and Laura and that advantage is 90/10,” Burke said.

Buffalo begins conference play next week when they visit Ball State on Sept. 23. Kickoff is at 5 p.m.

Daniel Petruccelli is a sports staff writer and can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com