The grapevine: Your weekly collection of Buffalo's sonic selections

The semester is in full swing four weeks in, which means most students are feeling the wrath of homework, tests and term papers. This is a busy time of year but relaxation should still be a part of your weekly routine and live music is a great way to unwind at the end of the week.

This week has a distinguished contributor in jazz, a team of Canadian rockers and a country superstar among the musical acts making a stop in the Queen City. Whatever your style, the end of this week is especially stocked with great performers. Treat yourself to some tunes before college life gets too stressful.

George Caldwell Quartet w/ Vincent Herring

Thursday, Sept. 22– Burchfield Penney Art Center

In celebration of the late jazz legend John Coltrane’s 90th birthday, George Caldwell and his quartet are performing with Vincent Herring at Buffalo State’s Burchfield Penney Art Center. Caldwell is an adjunct instructor at UB as well as a Grammy-winning swing pianist who has played with the well-known Count Basie Orchestra amongst other legends from the jazz industry.

He will be joined by Herring, who has played alto saxophone with jazz cats such as Nat Adderly, Dizzy Gillespie and Art Blakey. Together, it’s bound to be a cool night of jazz for all those that love Trane.

Jason Aldean

Thursday, Sept. 22– Darien Lake

Big name country crooner Jason Aldean is coming to Western New York Thursday night. Aldean’s most recent album They Don’t Know is a top seller in the US, putting him atop the country’s favorite southern musicians.

Aldean is known to be irresistibly catchy with carefree twang-laden songs like “Lights Come On” and “A Little More Summertime.”

It’s just the second time in a matter of weeks a chart-topping artist has performed in Buffalo, since Travis Scott performing at Fall Fest on Sept. 10.

If you want to hear somebody that knows how to get the crowd rocking, grab some friends and a couple of beers to see Aldean at Darien Lake.

Metric

Friday, Sept. 23– Town Ballroom

Canadian rockers Metric are touring on foreign soil and plan to bring their northern sound to Town Ballroom on Friday. Led by Emily Haines, Metric has swayed into a more electronic, synth-pop territory with their recent albums Synthetica and Pagans in Vegas but still uphold love and respect from their dedicated fan base.

This was supposed to be Artpark’s grand finale for the year, but the show was relocated to the Town Ballroom. Plan to see Metric close up at the downtown venue accordingly.

Mutual Benefit w/ Quilt

Saturday, Sept. 24– Mohawk Place

Baroque folk band Mutual Benefit is set to make a splash alongside fellow indie group Quilt downtown on Saturday night.

Brooklyn-born artist Jordan Lee is behind the idyllically toned band, who released Skip a Sinking Stone earlier this year to moderate acclaim. In addition, Quilt is touring to promote their latest effort Plaza as they provide a much more psychedelic theme to open the show.

The show is at one of Buffalo’s premier music venues so experiencing this orchestral rock group looks to be a solid choice.

The Dear Hunter

Sunday, Sept. 25– The Waiting Room

Rock band The Dear Hunter kicks it into high gear to end the weekend correctly. These prog-rockers by way of Boston have a story-telling approach to lyricism, titling most of their discography as acts.

The group just dropped Act V: Hymns With the Devil in Confessional earlier this month. The Dear Hunter is sure to attract rock fans from all over the area to their rock opera that will be instrumentally astounding.

Benjamin Blanchet is a staff writer and can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com

BENJAMIN BLANCHET
Father Benjamin.jpg

Benjamin Blanchet is the senior engagement editor for The Spectrum. His words have been seen in The Buffalo News (Gusto) and The Sun newspapers of Western New York. Loves cryptoquip and double-doubles.