The grapevine: Your weekly collection of Buffalo’s sonic selections

On Monday, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton will face off in the first debate of the general election. Their disdain for one another is obvious, with both of them engaging in name-calling and political attacks. If you like music, there’s no debating that you deserve to see a great show every now and then.

This week in Buffalo there are performances by an all-time great act on North Campus, rappers and singers of the old school variety and a successful jam band founded by UB students. If there is one vote you should make this fall, it should be to see more great music in the area.

Brian Wilson – Center for the Arts

Wednesday, Sept. 28th

In what is bound to be a night of epic proportions, music legend Brian Wilson will perform Wednesday night at the Center for the Arts. Best known as the front man for the iconic rock group the Beach Boys, Wilson will be performing the group’s genre-bending album Pet Sounds for what will be the last time as he continues his final tour.

Tickets are going for over $100 on third-party sites, so getting into this show will be a pricey venture. However, if you are lucky enough to attend Wilson’s performance, you will never forget it.

Clutch w/ Zakk Sabbath and Kyng – Town Ballroom

Wednesday, Sept. 28th

Touring to promote their 2015 album Psychic Warfare, the hard-rocking group Clutch is set to get heads banging Wednesday night. Led by Neil Fallon, the band once opened for Iron Maiden in the late ‘90s and currently has their own record label.

Clutch is joined by Black Sabbath cover band Zakk Sabbath, led by former Ozzy Osbourne guitarist Zakk Wylde. Also performing is the LA-based Kyng, an alternative metal band who will release their new album Breathe in The Water on Oct. 7.

Don’t miss this collection of respectable rockers at the Town Ballroom to break up the middle of your school week.

I Love the 90’s: Salt-N-Pepa and more – Seneca Niagara Events Center

Thursday, Sept. 29th

You can try to pull off the aesthetic of the ‘90s, but it’s nothing like hearing the celebrated music from the era. Niagara Falls will travel back in time this Thursday night when Salt-N-Pepa, Coolio, Vanilla Ice and Rob Base perform hits like “Shoop,” “Gangsta’s Paradise,” “Ice Ice Baby” and “Joy and Pain.”

Throw on a Starter jacket and turn the volume up on your Walkman on your way to see these hit-makers live.

Glenn Jones – The Tralf

Friday, Sept. 30th

If you’re looking for someone to get you and your S.O. in the mood, Glenn Jones is your guy. One of the unsung voices of late-‘80s and early-‘90s R&B, Jones’ smooth vocals have glided over superb and lovely soul production, pushing him to high spots on the Billboard R&B charts with songs like “Here I Go Again” and “We’ve Only Just Begun.”

Even past the prime of his career, Jones is still very impressive in his range and worth checking out if you’re looking for a tender night with the one you love.

moe. – Town Ballroom

Friday, Sept. 30th and Saturday, Oct. 1st

Performing two nights in a row at the Town Ballroom is moe., one of the more established jam bands in the music business. The band was formed by Chuck Garvey and Rob Derhak, a pair of UB students who began performing Broadway Joe’s on Main St. The rest is history and today moe. boasts an extensive discography of 11 studio albums and is known as one of the best jam bands of the ‘90s.

moe. has performed everywhere from Paris to Tokyo so make sure to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to see them in your own backyard.

Benjamin Blanchet is a staff writer and can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com.

BENJAMIN BLANCHET
Father Benjamin.jpg

Benjamin Blanchet is the senior engagement editor for The Spectrum. His words have been seen in The Buffalo News (Gusto) and The Sun newspapers of Western New York. Loves cryptoquip and double-doubles.