Quick hits: teams now all in thick of MAC play, women’s basketball brings in transfer

<p>Bulls pitcher Charlie Sobieraksi hurls a pitch during the 2016 season.&nbsp;</p>

Bulls pitcher Charlie Sobieraksi hurls a pitch during the 2016 season. 

Baseball (11-17, 4-5 Mid-American Conference)

Buffalo is going through a tough start to conference play.

After losing two of three in a series against Eastern Michigan (11-15, 5-1 MAC) a week before, the Bulls dropped two of three again this weekend, this time to Ohio (14-17, 4-5 MAC). The Bulls started the series off with a 9-3 victory, thanks to junior pitcher Alec Tuohy. Tuohy started the game and finished with five strikeouts and one earned run allowed in seven innings.

The Bulls lost the next two, including a 6-5 loss on Sunday to close the series. Both teams were tied heading into the ninth inning, but the Bobcats got the game-winning run thanks to a wild pitch. Sophomore third baseman Ben Vey finished 1 of 5 at the plate with a home run, while sophomore infielder Don Kilian went 3 of 4 at the plate and had one RBI.

On Tuesday, the Bulls defeated Canisius (16-16, 6-3 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) 5-4 on Tuesday. Senior pitcher Brandon Mumaw finished with five strikeouts in six innings, while freshman catcher Andrew Taft finished 3 of 5 at the plate with one RBI. Sophomore pitcher Logan Harasta came into the ninth inning to get the save for Buffalo.

The Bulls remain home to host Miami Ohio (15-15, 6-3 MAC) for a three-game series starting on Friday. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.

Softball (11-25, 5-4 MAC)

The Bulls continued solid play in conference by defeating Ball State (18-22, 4-7 MAC) in two of their three matchups this weekend. The Bulls won both matchups on Friday, including a 13-4 victory in five innings, before falling 5-3 in their last matchup of the series on Saturday. The 13 runs scored are tied for the second-most runs the Bulls have scored this season.

In Buffalo’s 2-0 victory to open the series, the Bulls received a dominant performance from sophomore pitcher Charlotte Miller. Miller received the start and finished with five strikeouts in seven innings pitched. Junior utility hitter Savanna Norcio finished with one hit and one walk in all three games.

The Bulls travel to Akron, Ohio to face Akron (19-17-1, 3-4-1 MAC) at Lee Jackson Field for a two-game series on Wednesday. The first pitch is set for 1 p.m.

Men’s tennis (9-6, 2-2 MAC)

The Bulls lost their one matchup this weekend, which will matter heading into the MAC Tournament.

On Sunday, the Bulls lost to Western Michigan (16-5, 4-1 MAC) 5-2, which will make it tough for them to capture the No. 1 seed in the MAC Tournament in two weeks. But the Bulls are in position to grab the No. 2 seed.

The Bulls won the first doubles set Sunday, before dropping the next two sets. Seniors Pablo Alvarez and Sergio Arevalillo won their single matches, but the team couldn’t muster another victory in singles action. The win for Arevalillo was his 100th victory as a member of the Bulls.

The Bulls are on the road this weekend to face Ball State (9-10, 2-2 MAC) in Muncie, Indiana on Friday and Northern Illinois (15-7, 3-2 MAC) on Sunday. Friday’s match is set for 1 p.m.

Women’s tennis (11-6, 3-2 MAC)

The women’s tennis team split this past weekend, as it defeated Ball State (18-3, 5-1 MAC) 4-3 Sunday after falling to Miami Ohio (8-9, 3-1 MAC) 5-2 on Friday.

The Bulls won the first match in doubles play Sunday, but dropped the next two. In singles play, the two teams went back and forth and were tied heading into the final singles match. Freshman Sanjana Sudhir defeated Ball State’s Isabelle Dohanics 4-6, 6-2, 7-5 to give the Bulls the win over the MAC leaders. Sophomore Tanja Stojanovska and junior Laura Holterbosch were victorious in both singles and doubles play for the Bulls.

Buffalo travels to the University of Toledo to face Northern Illinois (6-10, 1-3 MAC) on Friday. The Bulls will then face Akron (13-9, 3-3 MAC) on Saturday.

Friday’s match is set for 1 p.m.

Track and Field

The Bulls won six events at the Lou Onesty Invitational held at the University of Virginia on Saturday.

Senior Austin Price won the men’s long jump with a jump of 7.17 meters, while sophomore Charlotte Malloy finished in second place in the 5,000 meter with a time of 18:04:93. Senior Laurent Dure finished in first place in the men’s high jump.

The Bulls also finished in first place in the 4x100 meter relay, won by seniors Malayah White, Camaria Long, Asher Beasley and junior Tyra Forbes. Junior Meagan Hopkins and sophomore Morgan Mahoney finished first and second in the 10,000 meter run, with Hopkins recording a time of 36:20:51, while Mahoney finished with a time of 36:44:95.

In all, the Bulls won four track events, highlighted by first and second place finishes by junior Lloyd Webb and senior Frankie Pfeil in the 10,000 meter run, while sophomores Justin McCarthy and Justin Van Epps finished first and second in the steeplechase.

Women’s basketball

On Monday, the Bulls announced that Cierra Dillard, a 5-foot-9 transfer from the University of Massachusetts, will join the Bulls for the 2017-18 season.

Dillard, a guard, was one of the Minutemen’s most dynamic scoring threats as she averaged more than 15 points a game in a competitive Atlantic 10 Conference and ended the season ranked sixth in scoring in the conference.

Dillard, a native of Rochester, is possibly the most talented Western New York player to play for Buffalo. She was a three-star recruit coming out of high school and was considered for the McDonald’s All-America team in 2014. Dillard was named to the All-State team three times in her high school career.

Due to NCAA transfer rules, Dillard must sit out the entire 2016-17 season. She will have two years of eligibility remaining for Buffalo.