The Spectrum’s May Movie Guide

Upcoming films to be released this May

<p>“Captain America: Civil War” will appear in theaters on May 6.</p>

“Captain America: Civil War” will appear in theaters on May 6.

This May brings moviegoer’s two superhero flicks, a wide array of comedies, a sports biography, animated fantasies and more. Don’t miss out on this chance to escape from the endless torrent of exams, papers and studying. There are too many mind-erasing, high-budget Hollywood films to procrastinate watching instead.

“Captain America: Civil War”

Release Date: May 6

Following a destructive incident involving the Avengers, the superhero team is fraught with controversy.

Amid cries for oversight over the Avengers, the group fractures into camps led by Captain America (Chris Evans), who supports complete independence of the Avengers from the government, and Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), who calls for accountability.

The resulting rift pits old allies against each other as the world is rocked by political danger. The film is directed by the Russo Brothers.

“Pelé: Birth of a Legend”

Release Date: May 6

This sports biopic tells the story of renowned Brazilian footballer Pelé.

Jess Zimbalist and Michael Zimbalist directed the biopic and starts Leonardo Lima Carvalho as young Pelé with Kevin de Paula as teenage Pelé. If you are a soccer fan, or even a fan of inspirational sports heroes, be sure to check out this film.

“Money Master”

Release Date: May 13

George Clooney and Julia Roberts star in this tense financial thriller where they serve as TV hosts for a finance show. One investor, a viewer of the show, takes Clooney and Roberts hostage when he takes over their studio.

Find out if they survive when the movie premiers this May 13.

“The Darkness”

Release Date: May 13

Directed by Greg McLean, this horror film tells the story of two families who return from a vacation to the Grand Canyon to find that a malevolent force has followed them home. The dark horror, styled similar to Blair Witch Project as found footage, the movie will have audiences everywhere jumping in their seats. The movie includes Kevin Bacon, Jennifer Morrison and Lucy Fry.

“Love and Friendship”

Release Date: May 13

Whit Stillman directs this romantic comedy based on Jane Austen’s novel Lady Susan. Set in 1790s England, the film follows widowed Lady Susan’s (Kate Beckinsale) attempts to find marriage for herself and her daughter while facing the circulation of rumors about her through high society.

“The Angry Birds Movie”

Release Date: May 20

Based off the popular smartphone-based video game, this animated feature follows the story of Red (Jason Sudeikis), a habitually angry bird who must investigate the mysterious appearance of pigs on an island populated by peaceful flightless birds. The film is the directorial debut of Clay Kaytis and Fergal Reilly.

“Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising”

Release Date: May 20

This sequel to the 2014 comedy picks up as Mac (Seth Rogen) and Kelly (Rose Byrne) are expecting their second child. When a raucous sorority moves in next door, Mac reunites with (Zac Efron) to stop them. Quickly, the movie turns into a sorority queen (Chloe Grace Moretz) versus fraternity king (Effron), with Mac and Kelly caught in the middle. Nicholas Stoller directs the movie.

“The Nice Guys”

Release Date: May 20

Private eye Holland Marsh (Ryan Gosling) and hired enforcer Jackson Healy (Russell Crowe) discover a conspiracy team up to investigate the death of a porn star. The movie is pure ’70s throwbacks, with the entire movie set in downtown L.A. during the peak of the culture revolution. The movie is directed by Shane Black.

“X-Men: Apocalypse”

Release Date: May 27

When the powerful mutant-god Apocalypse (Oscar Isaac) recruits a team of mutants for a plan of destructive world cleansing, it is up to Professor X (James McAvoy) and the X-Men to answer the call to stop Apocalypse’s Armageddon. It is directed by Bryan Singer and stars an ensemble cast including Hugh Jackman, Jennifer Lawrence, and Olivia Munn

“Alice Through the Looking Glass”

Release Date: May 27

This sequel to Tim Burton’s 2010 “Alice in Wonderland” follows Alice (Mia Wasikowska) as journeys through the Looking Glass to find Underland in crisis. She must travel through time to save the Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp) and stop Time (Sacha Baron Cohen), a half-clockwork demigod, from destroying Underland.

Luke Heuskin is an arts editor and can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com