The grapevine: Joe Satriani coming to UB Center for the Arts

Your weekly collective of Buffalo’s sonic selections

This week, Buffalo has a host of incredible musicians coming to perform. From Diana Ross to Disturbed, there is something for everyone. A couple of the highlights this week are Joe Satriani, one of the most talented guitarists in the world, and Lil Dicky, an up-and-coming Jewish rapper from Philadelphia.

As the semester’s classes start to gear up for final exams, this week is a perfect chance to unload before the final couple weeks of grinding.

Monday, April 4

In Dying Arms – Mohawk Place

American deathcore band In Dying Arms will be traveling from their hometown of Baltimore to play at the Mohawk Place on Monday. They were formed in 2006 and have released four albums since then. The most recent album Original Sin was released on April 1.

The group has undergone many lineup changes in 2010, but has since stabilized their members and has toured consistently since then. Their live performance is electrifying – the deathcore band is known for their intense shows. Get your week started right with In Dying Arms.

Tuesday, April 5

Disturbed – The Rapid Theater

Heavy metal band Disturbed has been around for some time. They first started in 1994 as Brawl, but renamed themselves in 1996 as Disturbed.

Since then the band has led a very successful career, spanning six studio albums and multiple world tours.

The band is currently touring its newest album Immortalized and will be performing at Rapids Theater on Tuesday.

The Mountain Goats – Asbury Hall

Indie folk rockers The Mountain Goats have been prevalent on the indie rock scene since 1991.

In 1994, the band put out their first studio album, Zopilote Machine. The album kickstarted the band’s career, which has now lasted through three or four different waves of indie rock and 15 studio albums with nine different labels.

The hugely influential indie rock band will be performing at Asbury Hall on Tuesday – get tickets if you can.

Thursday, April 7

Datsik – Town Ballroom

Canadian artist Datsik has been on the up since his first release during the EDM boom of the late 2000s. Since then, the DJ has exploded in popularity and has been touring around the world on the hottest electronic circuits, including Coachella, Ultra and the Electric Daisy Carnival.

The high-energy dubstep and EDM artist will be coming to Buffalo’s Town Ballroom on Thursday. Don’t miss this chance to party with one of the hottest DJs in the world right now.

Friday, April 8

Hiroshima – Tralf

American jazz band Hiroshima is an Asian-American collective who has grown into one of the most respected jazz-fusion bands in the country.

Boasting a constantly rotating lineup of talented musicians, the band never has the same show twice. The band has been performing since 1974 and has only grown in scope and range since then.

The band celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2009 and released Legacy in honor of the band’s longevity.

The eclectic band will be performing a jazz set at the Tralf on Friday.

Saturday, April 9

Joe Satriani – Center for the Arts, University at Buffalo

Joe Satriani is widely regarded as one of the most talented guitarists ever. Satriani and his iconic six-string guitar have played all over the world with household-name acts like Alice Cooper and Mick Jagger.

He has released 15 solo albums, each relying on his immense talent as a guitarist. His most recent, Shockwave Supernova, is what Satriani is currently promoting on tour. He will make a stop at UB on Saturday.

Diana Ross – Seneca Niagara Events Center

American singer, songwriter, actress and record producer Diana Ross will be coming to the Seneca Niagara Events Center on Saturday.

The musical icon of Motown has become a household name, first with her work with The Supremes and later with her career as a solo artist and actress.

Recently, Ross has been touring around the world. In 2005 she starting touring her solo stuff again and in 2010 she did a Michael Jackson tribute tour.

Currently, Ross is on her “In the Name of Love Tour,” a four-year worldwide tour with dates across the United States and Asia.

Lil Dicky – Town Ballroom

Comedian and rapper Lil Dicky has been making a name for himself in the last few months. He first grew to popularity with his video “Ex-Boyfriend” which went viral on YouTube.

His fame has only continued to grow when he released a music video with Snoop Dog promoting his debut album Professional Rapper, which was released on July 31 of last year.

He will be coming to perform at the Town Ballroom on Saturday and is set to be one of the most popular concerts this week – don’t miss out on the Saturday party.

Brian Windschitl is the senior arts editor and can be reached at brian.windschitl@ubspectrum.com