News briefs: Knife found on former O.J. Simpson estate

What you need to know locally, nationally and globally

Locally

Police chase near local high school ends in fatal crash

A 21-year-old man from New York City died in a crash in front of City Honors High School early Saturday, according to WIBV. Officers tried to pull over a 2007 Jeep Liberty around 2 a.m. when the driver sped off. The chase ended when the man crashed into a pole at Michigan Avenue and East North Street.

The driver died shortly after. Two passengers in the vehicle were taken to Erie County Medical Center with non life-threatening injuries

Three injured and dog killed in a Niagara Falls fire

Three people were injured and a dog was killed in a fire late Friday night in Niagara Falls, New York. Niagara Falls Police said the two-and-a-half-story home was a total loss, according to WIBV. They said although they know the fire started in the kitchen, what caused it is still unknown.

The three people were taken to the hospital. The total damage to the home was $100,000 to the structure and $20,000 to the contents. The fire is still under investigation.

Nationally

Former First Lady Nancy Reagan dies

Former First Lady Nancy Reagan died of congestive heart failure early Sunday, according to NBC News. Reagan was known for her heavy involvement in anti-drug campaigns during her husband’s presidency.

Reagan was 94 years old.

Police claim knife found on former O.J. Simpson Estate property

The O.J. Simpson murder case resurfaced Friday after the Los Angeles Police Department reported a construction worker found a knife at the Simpson estate around the time of the trial.

According to New York Daily News, the construction worker gave the knife to an off-duty police officer, who kept it as a piece of memorabilia.

According to police, the knife holds no evidentiary value at this point since Simpson cannot be put on trial again for murder due to the double jeopardy. Simpson was found not guilty in 1995 in the murders of his ex-wife and her friend. 

Globally

Sixteen killed in attack on elderly home in Yemen

The Vatican reported four members of Missionaries of Charity, as well as 12 others, were killed at an elderly facility in the city of Aden, according to CNN.

A gunman broke into the facility and handcuffed each person before fatally shooting him or her. Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin called it “an act of senseless and diabolical violence.”

No terrorist groups have claimed responsibility for the attack at this time.

At least than 60 people killed in Baghdad terrorist attack

An ISIS terrorist detonated an explosive-filled fuel truck in heavy traffic at a security checkpoint south of Baghdad on Sunday. At least 60 people were wounded in the blast, according to Reuters. At least 39 of the dead were civilians and the remainder was police, according to BBC News.

ISIS claimed the attack and praised the group that carried it out on a news website. This is the largest attack in the province to date.

The news desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com.