Around town: March edition

Events for the most bipolar weather month

<p>The New York Islanders and Buffalo Sabres face off at First Niagara Center in downtown Buffalo (pictured). March is the last full month to catch a Sabres game.</p>

The New York Islanders and Buffalo Sabres face off at First Niagara Center in downtown Buffalo (pictured). March is the last full month to catch a Sabres game.

March is a strange month. The weather enters a bipolar state where it’s snowing one day and then sunny and warm the next. The classes start to get very difficult but there’s no end to the semester in sight. It sounds terrible but that’s only because it is.

Buffalo can still be an interesting place this time of year, despite the weather and the course load. So take a break from “studying” – also known as watching cat videos on YouTube while contemplating whether you chose the right major – and explore the city you call home with these events.

Marian McLaughlin

Concerts are something every college kid should attend, but most college kids can’t afford them after spending $300 on a biology book that they only open once. McLaughlin’s concert is an exception.

The concert only costs $10 if you buy tickets before showing up, or $13 if you’re a procrastinator and buy them the day of. McLaughlin, a folk singer, guitarist and songwriter, will be holding the concert on Thursday, March 3 at 341 Delaware Ave. The doors open at 7 p.m. and the show starts at 8 p.m.

John Witherspoon

John Witherspoon, know for his comedy work on Adult Swim’s “Black Jesus” as well as his work as Ice Cube’s father in the “Friday” movie trilogy, will be in Buffalo this month. Witherspoon will be performing from March 3 through March 5 at the Helium Comedy Club.

Tickets range from $20-33 dollars depending on which night you choose to go and whether you select reserved or general seating. Take a break from laughing at your GPA and laugh at a comedian instead.

Sabres game

As well as being the month during which snow hopefully stops falling, March is also the last full month that the Buffalo Sabres play, with April 9 being their last scheduled game.

Buffalo’s hockey team has nine home games at the First Niagara Center during the month of March, with games occurring on March 1, 3, 5, 8, 12, 16, 18, 26 and 31. Prices range from $48-155 depending on which day you go and where you sit. Grab some friends and see the Sabres before they exit the rink for the last time this year.

Blake Shelton

Unless you’re completely obliviously, you probably know that Blake Shelton is a country singer. But what you might not know is that he will be coming to Buffalo on St. Patrick’s Day.

Shelton, who has won the CMA Male Vocalist of the year award for the last five years as well as being a coach on NBC’s “The Voice,” will perform at the First Niagara Center on March 17 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets range from $29.75-69.75. So the good news is you should have at least a quarter left over no matter what. Don’t spend it all at once.

Rihanna

“Work work work work work work” (Rihanna voice).

Rihanna might not have been talking about college in this song, but the words still fit. College is full of work. But everyone, even the most dedicated student who falls asleep in the library and drools all over their textbook, needs a break.

So take a break from working and listen to Rihanna sing about it instead. Rihanna will be at the First Niagara Center on March 23 at 7:30 p.m. for The Anti World Tour. Tickets range from $30.50-126.

John Jacobs is the assistant features editor and can be reached at john.jacobs@ubspectrum.com