Swimsuit season is approaching fast for spring breakers

<p>Swimsuits, like any article of clothing, vary in style from year to year. If you’re going somewhere warm and sunny for spring break, here are some ideas on how to look trendy.</p>

Swimsuits, like any article of clothing, vary in style from year to year. If you’re going somewhere warm and sunny for spring break, here are some ideas on how to look trendy.

Bathing suit season may seem a long way off, but for those who will be somewhere warm and sunny this spring break, that season comes up much quicker.

Maybe you’ve been working out in anticipation or monitoring your food intake so that bikini looks bomb and your dad bod is more of a rad bod. Whether or not you have the money for it, it can be tempting to buy some new suits for an upcoming vacation, especially when new styles have arrived in stores like Pac Sun, Victoria’s Secret and Free People.

Fortunately, shoppers don’t necessarily have to break the bank in order to look trendy in time for the trip. Stores like Target have some of the best suits for significantly less than their competitors for both genders.

Here’s a list of what’s hot right now and where you can find it, no matter what your budget is.

Revealing one piece

Not everyone immediately runs to the bikini section when it comes to bathing suits. One-pieces have made a huge comeback in recent years and now reflect a more stylish appearance. These styles include a really low-cut back, cuts in the side of the suit, or patterns of mesh throughout the suit.

Victoria’s Secret has colorful, patterned plunge – also available in black for those who hate color – one piece with an open back for $78. The halter-top helps to keep the straps adjustable and the suit is available in sizes x-small to x-large.

Target has an incredibly similar suit, though only available in colored stripes, for about half the price at $39.99. The Mossimo Stripe One Piece is the perfect alternative for those looking to keep their bank account in check.

High-neck bikini top

The classic bikini top, which was just two triangles, has been majorly revamped this season. It’s not just about new patterns either – lately, high-neck bikini tops that look more like a sleeveless crop top. Like one-pieces, these tops have more fabric to them which means there’s more room for mesh and small, geometric cuts.

Free People has a wide variety of these tops, from crochet knit to patterned vest-type tops. Tops, which are sold separately, average around $100.

Fortunately, Forever 21 also has these bikini tops for significantly less – about $15 on average. They have just about the same collection; you would just be paying less for lower-quality material.

High-waisted bottoms

High-waisted bikini bottoms were popular last season and are still being sold in stores everywhere. They’re perfect for keeping things fresh and trendy, but also if you’re feeling a little self-conscious about your bikini body. It’s also great for those who like the water, as it’s a little more secure than the average bikini bottom.

Like tops, bottoms are sold separately. Victoria’s Secret has some great ones that aren’t too expensive, only about $30 on average. They come in different colors and patterns, which makes it easy to mix and match.

There are some super-cute patterned ones on Pac Sun that are only about $25, a pretty great deal for a cute bottom that’s decent material.

Shorter men’s suits

Women aren’t the only ones who can rock fashionable swimwear. Lately, Americans have been taking a more European approach to swim trunks and wearing them shorter, as in halfway up the thigh and above the knee. Match the new style with some crazy patterns and suddenly it’s the guys who run the fashion world.

Dick’s Sporting Goods has a good variety of high-quality suits (since they’re normally name brand) that average around $35.

JCPenny’s has some swimsuits that have both the pattern and the length that men are looking for, averaging around $20-25.

Tori Roseman is the senior features editor ad can be reached at tori.roseman@ubspectrum.com