The Spectrum’s sex playlist: R&B edition

Some low-key jams you can get down to

<p>Here is The Spectrum’s annual sex playlist, R&B-themed. This year we filled the playlist with all of our favorite R&B late night jams.</p>

Here is The Spectrum’s annual sex playlist, R&B-themed. This year we filled the playlist with all of our favorite R&B late night jams.

The past year has been killer for R&B music. From the The Weeknd’s domination of the charts to the inventive FKA twigs, the scene is bursting with promising new talent.

For The Spectrum’s annual sex playlist, we decided to pick out some of our favorite R&B songs that are good for late nights. There’s something about the slowed-down grooves that just gets the mood going.

Majid Jordan, “Her”

Recently signed onto the OVO Sound, Canadian record producer and performing duo, Majid Al Maskati and Jordan Ullman, also known as Majid Jordan, have been making some of the most sultry and heart-throbbing music in the R&B scene today.

Their song “Her” is sexuality personified. It’s about two lovers being caught in their feels. Let the interplay between Majid Jordan’s rhythmic vocals and snazzy production soundtrack your night with the perfect sensual vibes.

Total, “Kissin’ You”

Total is known for their hypnotizing hooks and soulful voices. Over the course of their career they have featured on songs with Biggie Smalls, Missy Elliot and Puff Daddy.

Their song “Kissin’ You,” off of their self-titled debut in 1996, was made for the special moments between two lovers. So often, the most painful part about a relationship isn’t the final breakup, but times spent apart. Something about longing to be with your partner makes the distance seem so bitter, but so sweet. “Kissin’ You” is all about that feeling – the heart-throbbing anxiousness counting down the seconds until you can see, and kiss, your lover again.

Roy Woods, “Get You Good”

The OVO Sound label has a habit of finding artists who specialize in deep, bass-filled cuts perfect for the late nights.

Roy Woods, on “Get You Good,” sings about his unquenchable lust for his lover. His spiraling vocals and bass twine throughout the song to create a steamy, slowed-down song. Take Woods’ advice and give in to your desire – there’s nothing more satisfying.

Bryson Tiller, “Exchange”

T R A P S O U L, Bryson Tiller’s debut album, immediately placed Tiller alongside the pack of R&B singers who have centered their careers on making sultry, sensual songs about late nights filled with seduction and sweet talk.

In “Exchange,” Tiller is telling the girl he is interested in to drop the man she is with to come mess around with him instead. He lets the girl know that he can do it better than her lover can. Take notes: Tiller knows exactly how to get someone’s attention and exactly what to do once he has that attention.

Kehlani, “The Way ft. Chance the Rapper”

Kehlani is young and hot. And she knows it.

Her brand self-aware R&B constantly makes overt references to how not only would she be the best you’ve ever had, but she would help you glow up in your own life. Just being with Kehlani would make you more reputable.

“The Way,” featuring Chance the Rapper, is a song about seduction. Kehlani is whispering in her lover’s ear that she knows he’s the only one who can turn her on. To Kehlani, and the rest of the world, there is nothing sexier than a lover who knows exactly what you want.

Aaliyah, “Age Ain’t Nothing But A Number”

Aaliyah is often considered an artist who was ahead of her time. She made her first album when she was 15, but she seemed to already have the pointed vision and sexuality of a fully-grown adult.

In “Age Ain’t Nothing But A Number,” Aaliyah sings about forbidden love between two lovers of a different age. But, everyone knows the most exciting thing is often the exact thing you aren’t supposed to be doing.

The Weeknd, “The Morning”

If The Weeknd isn’t on the sex playlist, is it still a sex playlist? The answer is no.

The Weeknd has formed his entire aesthetic around doing copious amounts of drugs and then having steamy, hot sex with someone who won’t be around the next day.

“The Morning” is a throwback to the earliest tapes that the singer-songwriter released. It’s simplistic production only highlights the unique and overtly sexual vocals of Tesfaye. Channel your inner Weeknd and have a night you will barely remember, but your lover won’t ever forget.

And when the morning after finally comes around and you have to part ways with your lover, this song epitomizes the feelings of regret when you have to watch your lover go.

It’s sad, but you know that there will always be another night, another someone.

Brian Windschitl is the senior arts editor and can be reached at brian.windschitl@ubspectrum.com.