Police investigate death of Buffalo State student as possible hazing incident

Student Bradley Doyley dies at age 21

<p>Bradley Doyley, a former player for the Buffalo State men's basketball team and a senior business major, died on Thursday. Buffalo Police is investigating his death as a possible fraternity hazing incident.</p>

Bradley Doyley, a former player for the Buffalo State men's basketball team and a senior business major, died on Thursday. Buffalo Police is investigating his death as a possible fraternity hazing incident.

Buffalo Police is investigating the death of a SUNY Buffalo State student as a possible fraternity hazing incident.

Bradley Doyley, a senior business major and former basketball player for Buffalo State, died at Buffalo General Medical Center on Thursday, Feb. 18. He was 21.

Buffalo State has suspended the Alpha Phi Alpha chapter of which Doyley was reportedly pledging.

The Buffalo News reported that Doyley was hospitalized last month after not feeling well. Students told The Buffalo News that Doyley may have been given some kind of concoction to drink that led to his illness.

Police have not yet determined Doyley’s cause of death.

Buffalo State President Katherine Conway-Turner released a statement Friday announcing that the college is supporting Buffalo Police’s investigation into the hazing allegation and the suspension of the Alpha Phi Alpha chapter.

Doyley was honored at the Buffalo State men’s basketball game Friday night against New Paltz. There was a moment of silence held before the game began and the Bengals won 94-79. Doyley last played for the Bengals during the 2014-15 season.

Chris Cartwright, a senior at Buffalo State, was a friend of Doyley and attended Friday’s game.

“I’ll remember him every time I shoot a basketball,” Cartwright said. “Everyone knew who he was. Everyone loved him.”

Students used the #ForeverBrad on Twitter to remember their peer.

Students also set up a fundraiser to help Doyley’s family with funeral expenses. The fundraiser was set up at the basketball game Friday night and raised about $1,500 during the course of the game.

Tori Roseman is the senior features editor and can be reached at tori.roseman@ubspectrum.com.