News briefs

What you need to know locally, nationally and globally

Locally:

String of cold weather rocks Buffalo

This winter kicked off with unusually high temperatures, but more winter-like weather finally hit Buffalo last week. The National Weather Service issued lake-effect snow warnings for Southern Erie, Chautauqua and Cattaraugus counties beginning last Thursday.

Forecasters reported that the harsh temperatures last week occurred due to instability in the atmosphere and wind direction, according to The Buffalo News. The temperature dropped as low as -4 degrees this past weekend. Friday’s heavy snow caused closures across Buffalo Public Schools, local Catholic schools and schools in districts located in Orchard Park, Frontier and Lackawanna.

Former State Senate candidate arrested after police find weapons in vehicle in Niagara Falls

Gia M. Arnold, former state Senate hopeful was arrested last Wednesday along with Halim Johnson, an 18-year-old Niagara Falls resident, on felony weapon charges, according to The Buffalo News. Police discovered a loaded rifle and handgun along with a combat knife in Arnold’s vehicle, according to Niagara Falls Police Capt. Michael Trane.

Neither Johnson nor Arnold offered officers an explanation for their possession of the weapons. Arnold and Johnson are currently incarcerated at the Niagara County Jail in Lockport on a $5,000 bail.

Nationally:

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia dies

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia was found dead in his sleep on Saturday in a luxury resort in West Texas, according to the U.S. Marshal Service. Scalia, 79, was staying at the Cibolo Creek Ranch. Scalia died of “apparent natural causes,” according to My San Antonio News. Democrats immediately began clambering for President Barack Obama to appoint a new justice to the Supreme Court, while some Republicans in the Senate have declared they will block any Obama appointee.

Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump victorious in New Hampshire primary

Bernie Sanders defeated presidential nominee candidate Hillary Clinton in the Democratic New Hampshire primary last Tuesday with 60 percent of the votes. An excited crowd of Sanders’ supporters gathered at a local New Hampshire high school to celebrate his victory, according to CNN. Clinton edged out a victory in Iowa last week. The two engaged in the Democratic Debate on Thursday night, where Clinton said Sanders needed to “level” with voters.

On the Republican side, Donald Trump edged surprise second-place candidate John Kasich by more than 20 percentage points. Ted Cruz, winner of the Iowa caucus, finished in third, nearly 25 percentage points behind Trump.

Globally:

North Korean army officer executed

A senior North Korean military leader, Gen. Ri Yong-gil, has been executed, according to a South Korean government official. The official said the leader was executed for "factionalism, misuse of authority and corruption," according to CNN. He was appointed to the position in 2013.

Forty-nine dead in Mexican prison riot

A quarrel between leaders of rival gangs ended in a deadly prison riot at Topo Chico in Northern Mexico. The riot killed 49 people and injured 12, including five who are in critical condition, according to CNN.

Inmates set multiple fires inside the prison during the riot. The riot began an hour before midnight on Wednesday and continued until about 1:30 a.m. The governor referred to the riots as "unfortunate and painful."

News desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com.