February’s free time to-do list around Buffalo

Come out of hibernation because Buffalo has a lot to offer

<p>Young Buffalo artists will be showcasing their talent and signature style&nbsp;referencing “Young British Artists” through BT&G. This is a free gallery for young Buffalo artists, including UB students, to show their unique work.</p>

Young Buffalo artists will be showcasing their talent and signature style referencing “Young British Artists” through BT&G. This is a free gallery for young Buffalo artists, including UB students, to show their unique work.

Cold, blustery February weather makes you want to stay in bed, but in a city like Buffalo that has to deal with plenty of snow and cold, there is still a lot going on. The art scene this month is still vibrant so its time to bundle up and see what’s going on.

Fridays & Saturdays from 12 p.m. - 5 p.m. – Body of Trade & Commerce Gallery

Fresh: Series 1

Young Buffalo artists will be showcasing their talent and signature style through a gallery referencing “Young British Artists.” This is a free gallery for young Buffalo artists, including UB students, to show their unique work.

Tuesdays-Fridays 11 a.m - 5 p.m. & Saturdays 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. – Buffalo Arts Studio

DopeDupe

Peter Sowiski, a local and internationally-recognized artist, is offering a free gallery in downtown Buffalo. His interest in military aircrafts is displayed beautifully in this exhibit. Located at the Buffalo Arts Studio, the gallery shows paper mosaic military aircrafts in actual scale.

This is currently going on and ends March 4, so if you have interest in military hardware and local art this may be the place for you.

Fridays 6 p.m. - 9 p.m. – Allentown District

First Fridays

On the first Friday of each month, Allentown hosts free monthly events. Every Friday come out for a walk around the Allentown Buffalo that displays the local art galleries, preforming artists, restaurants, musicians, retailers and more. You can get to know the City of Buffalo outside of UB by going to see cultural sections of the city.

This popular event among Buffalo residents is still going on, even in the cold, so if you want to see a side to Buffalo you have never seen, check it out this Friday.

Going on now until March 12 – Canalside Buffalo

Canalside Winter Pavilion

Continuing through February, Canalside in downtown Buffalo has set up a 30 foot by 50 foot heated pavilion to showcase the new Canalside Buffalo. The pavilion is filled with food and merchandise vendors, and for those 21 and up, craft beer is also offered. This is a great way to see the new additions in downtown Buffalo with a great overview of Canalside at the skating rink.

Friday, Feb. 12 – Burchfield Penney Art Center

Second Fridays

The monthly installment of second Fridays is almost here. Burchfield Penney along with M&T Bank is offering special events to the public at a free or discounted rate. This month, there will be music, storytelling, an art workshop and more. Be sure to turn a regular boring Friday evening into something different.

Mondays all month – Canalside Pavilion

Open Mic Mondays

You have the chance to hop on stage and show your talent every Monday during the month of February at the Canalside Pavilion downtown. If you are stage shy, just go a watch and possibly see some of Buffalo’s hidden talent. The show will be held Monday evenings from 5 p.m. - 7 p.m. and will showcase talented poets, musicians and comedians.

Evan Grisley is an arts staff writer. Arts desk can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com.