UB women’s basketball loses MAC opener to Eastern Michigan

Eagles defeat Buffalo 67-56

<p>Junior guard Joanna Smith drives to the basket. Smith finished with a career-high 31 points and 14 rebounds. &nbsp;</p>

Junior guard Joanna Smith drives to the basket. Smith finished with a career-high 31 points and 14 rebounds.  

The Buffalo women’s basketball team found success in its non-conference schedule, roaring to a 6-0 start and finishing 8-3 before heading into Mid-American Conference play.

But the Bulls’ (8-4, 0-1 MAC) first conference game ended in disappointing fashion.

Eastern Michigan (10-2, 1-0 MAC) defeated Buffalo 67-56 Saturday at the Convocation Center in Ypsilanti, Michigan. The Bulls shot 32 percent from the field and went 5 of 21 from the beyond the arc. Buffalo’s two-game winning streak was snapped.

Buffalo’s defense got off to a strong to start by holding Eastern Michigan to just eight points in the first quarter, but it crumbled in the second and third quarters – allowing 20 points in both.

Buffalo cut the Eastern Michigan lead to just three in the fourth quarter, but the Eagles closed the game on a 10-2 run.

Senior guard Joanna Smith finished with a team-high 19 points and added five rebounds before fouling out. In her second game as a member of the Bulls, junior center Cassie Oursler finished with five points and grabbed nine rebounds. Sophomore guard Katherine Ups grabbed a career-high 14 rebounds.

The Bulls return home to Alumni Arena to face Central Michigan (7-5, 1-0 MAC) on Wednesday. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.

Quentin Haynes is the senior sports editor and can be reached at quentin.haynes@ubspectrum.com. Follow him on twitter at @HaynestheWriter.