The Spectrum’s winter movie guide

Upcoming films to be released this February

<p>Directed by Burr Steers, this action comedy reimagines Jane Austen’s classic <em>Pride and Prejudice</em> in a 19th century England overrun by the undead.</p>

Directed by Burr Steers, this action comedy reimagines Jane Austen’s classic Pride and Prejudice in a 19th century England overrun by the undead.

As Valentine’s Day draws ever nearer, lovers all over the country are scrambling to find the perfect date. Some will opt for the exotic, while others prefer the classic choice of dinner and a movie. This February, Hollywood made sure to provide movies for every taste, from superhero movies to an ample selection of romantic films.

The Choice

Release Date: Feb. 5, 2016

PG-13

Based on the romance by novelist Nicholas Sparks, “The Choice” is the eleventh film adaption of the bestselling author’s work. Directed by Ross Katz and starring Benjamin Walker (“Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter”) and Teresa Palmer (“Kill Me Three Times”), “The Choice” tells the story of a love affair between neighbors who fall for each other at their first meeting. When things take a tragic turn, Walker’s protagonist must make some of the toughest choices of his life in order to keep love alive.

Hail, Caesar!

Release Date: Feb. 5, 2016

PG-13

The Coen Brothers (“Inside Llewyn Davis”) direct a high-profile ensemble cast in this comedy about a Hollywood kidnapping. Josh Brolin (“No Country for Old Men”) plays Eddie Mannix, a “fixer” who helps to manage the scandalous lives of Hollywood stars. While shooting of a historical film about ancient Rome, actor Baird Whitlock, played by George Clooney (“Tomorrowland”), is kidnapped and held for ransom by a mysterious organization called The Future. Mannix must find a way to raise $100,000 and rescue Whitlock. Also starring Jonah Hill (“The Wolf of Wall Street”), Channing Tatum (“22 Jump Street”), and Scarlett Johansson (“Avengers: Age of Ultron”).

Misconduct

Release Date: Feb. 5, 2016

R

Directed by Shintaro Shimosawa, “Misconduct” follows Josh Dudamel (“You’re Not You”) as Ben, a young lawyer entangled in corporate conspiracy when he pursues an investigation against Denning, a corrupt pharmaceutical CEO played by Anthony Hopkins (“Kidnapping Freddy Heineken”). As Ben progresses in the case, he is caught up in an affair and finds himself on the run when he is framed for a crime he didn’t commit. The film also stars Al Pacino (“Danny Collins”) as Abrams, a company affiliate.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Release Date: Feb. 5, 2016

PG-13

Directed by Burr Steers, this action comedy reimagines Jane Austen’s classic Pride and Prejudice in a 19th century England overrun by the undead. Starring Lily James ("Downton Abbey") as a martial arts-trained Elizabeth Bennet, the film humorously weaves the romance and class conflict of Austen’s novel with the bloody excitement of a living dead horror flick.

Deadpool

Release Date: Feb. 12, 2016

R

Marvel’s highly awaited “Deadpool” comes in the wake of an eccentric advertising campaign and enormous fan anticipation. The film will be Tim Miller’s directorial debut and stars Ryan Reynolds (“Self/Less”) as fan-favorite Deadpool, a disfigured mercenary who emerges from an experiment with incredible regenerative powers and a twisted sense of humor. The irreverent anti-hero flirts with comedy as the film follows him tracking down an old enemy.

How to Be Single

Release Date: Feb. 12, 2016

R

Premiering two days before Valentine’s Day, this Christian Ditter-directed romantic comedy follows a group of friends as they explore the world of dating, hookups and love in New York City. Based on Liz Tuccillo’s novel, “How to Be Single” features lead actresses Dakota Johnson (“Fifty Shades of Grey”), Rebel Wilson (“Pitch Perfect 2”), Alison Brie (“Get Hard”), and Leslie Mann (“Vacation”).

Zoolander No. 2

Release Date: Feb. 12, 2016

Not yet rated

In “Zoolander No. 2”, director Ben Stiller (“Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb”) reprises his role as Derek Zoolander, a world-renowned fashion model now past his prime. When a string of high-profile murders hit the entertainment industry (including a slew of celebrity cameos), Zoolander and fellow model Hansel McDonald, played by Owen Wilson (“No Escape”), are recruited to get to the bottom of the crisis. Will Ferrell (“Get Hard”) stars as eccentric criminal mastermind Jacobim Mugatu.

Gods of Egypt

Release Date: Feb. 26, 2016

PG-13

When the dark god Set lays claim to the throne of Egypt, the human hero Bek must ally himself with the powerful god Horus in order to save the world. The visually explosive film features a cast of monsters, demons, and deities that clash in a mythological adventure. Directed by Alex Proyas (“I Robot”) and starring Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (“Game of Thrones”), Brenton Thwaites (“Ride”), Chadwick Boseman (“Get on Up”), and Gerard Butler (“Olympus has Fallen”), the fantasy flick received early criticism for racially insensitive casting, which included mostly white actors.

Luke Hueskin is the assistant arts editors and can be reached at luke.hueskin@ubspectrum.com.