UB Student Association Senate rundown

Senate grants more than $2,000 in funds, approves permanent status for three clubs in final meeting of semester

The Student Association Senate held its final meeting of the fall semester on Friday.

The senate granted $2,100 from its budget line and approved permanent status for several clubs who met their requirements. Here’s a breakdown of what senate did at the meeting:

• Granted UB Circle K $1,300 toward the community service club’s upcoming alternative spring break trip. Circle K had proposed for $1,950 to help fund its $13,160 trip, but the senate voted it down before agreeing to give $1,300.
  • Granted UB Kickline $800, the full amount asked for, for an upcoming competition. The club predicts the competition will cost $3,923.
  • Granted permanent club status to Piano Club, Pagan Student Association and Afghan Student Association. All three clubs will start off with a budget of $100.
  • Senate Chair Dillon Smith discussed plans to create official guidelines for recognizing clubs. He said the SA constitution is a “grey area” for approving clubs, and he’d like it to be more official.

The senate will begin meeting again next semester.

Tom Dinki is the editor in chief and can be reached at tom.dinki@ubspectrum.com. Follow him on Twitter at @tomdinki.