The grapevine

Your weekly collection of Buffalo’s sonic selections

This week, the Plain White T’s make a re-appearance, TheNEWDEAL comes to Town Ballroom and David Sanborn plays at Buffalo State. From an award winning alto saxophonist to a hard rock jam sesh, Buffalo has something for everyone this week.

Tuesday, Nov. 3

Plain White T’s – Showplace Theatre

American pop punk band Plain White T’s is one of the most massively popular groups to emerge in the 2000s, riding off of its hit single “Hey There Delilah.” The band has received two Grammy nods in its career and three of its songs – “Hey There Delilah,” “1234” and “Rhythm of Love” – were certified Platinum in 2007, ’09, and ’11 respectively. They will be performing again in Buffalo at Showplace Theatre on Tuesday. Don’t miss this chance to see one of the biggest rock bands of the late 2000s.

Wednesday, Nov. 4

TheNEWDEAL – Town Ballroom

From Toronto, TheNEWDEAL is an electronic band that has been around since the late ’90s, when it formed after some impromptu jam sessions. The band has frequented Buffalo, playing back when the free summer concerts were still held in Larkin Square. The band is coming back after a three year hiatus, when it reformed in 2014.

Thursday, Nov. 5

David Sanborn – Buffalo State

David Sanborn is a well-known alto saxophonist who has worked in many different genres. Notably, he worked with David Bowie on his album Young Americans. An incessant tour musician, Sanborn will often have over 100 tour dates. He will be coming to Buffalo State to perform on Thursday – don’t miss the chance to see this Grammy-award winning artist in action.

Friday, Nov. 6

Theory of a Deadman – Rapids Theatre

Theory of a Deadman is officially classified as hard rock, but its fusion of post-grunge and alt-metal is a sight to see. Getting its start as the opening bill of a Nickelback tour, Theory of a Deadman has been headlining its own tours since 2010. The band will be performing at Rapid Theatre for its high-octane, adrenaline-filed live show – come out and head jam.

Saturday, Nov. 7

Gwar – Town Ballroom

Heavy metal band Gwar has been around since the ’80s. Known for its over-the-top live shows, the band often satires social and political topics in humorous and violent ways. In some cases, the band will spray the crowd will fake blood. The “shock rock” band will be performing at the Town Ballroom on Saturday.

Brian Windschitl is the senior arts editor and can be reached at brian.windschitl@ubspectrum.com. Follow him on Twitter at @_brnwnd.