UB Bulls quick hits: Men’s and women’s basketball start seasons, volleyball headed to MAC Tournament

<p>Sophomore middle blocker Cassie Shado spikes a shot between two Bowling Green players. in a 3-1 win on Nov. 6.&nbsp; Six of the Bulls' seven victories came in MAC play, as they head into the conference tournament.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore middle blocker Cassie Shado spikes a shot between two Bowling Green players. in a 3-1 win on Nov. 6.  Six of the Bulls' seven victories came in MAC play, as they head into the conference tournament. 

Volleyball (7-21, 6-10 Mid-American Conference)

The Bulls closed their 2015 regular season with back-to-back losses on the road to Kent State and Ohio over the weekend. Buffalo closing their season on a three-game losing streak.

The Bulls fell to Ohio (23-6, 13-3 MAC) in straight sets Friday, as Buffalo failed to register 20 points in any of the three sets. Senior outside hitter Megan Lipski led the team in kills with nine for the Bulls, while freshman Valisha Watkins had seven.

Saturday saw the Bulls suffer the same result, as they fell to Kent State (19-9, 13-3 MAC) in straight sets. Two Bulls led the team in kills, as Lipski and freshman middle blocker Megan Wernette each registered eight kills.

The Bulls will travel to Athens, Ohio to face Ball State (14-16, 8-8 MAC) in the first round of the MAC Tournament on Thursday. The match is set for 7:30 p.m.

Men’s basketball (1-0)

The Bulls kicked off the 2015-16 regular season with a 109-49 victory over Division-III Pittsburgh at Bradford (0-1). Six Buffalo players finished with double-digit point totals, led by senior forward/guard Rodell Wigginton’s 25 points. Wigginton also added 10 rebounds and three assists to his 25 points.

It was a good night for the newcomers as well. Freshman guard CJ Massinburg scored 19 points and dished out four assists, while junior guard Blake Hamilton had 21 points, seven rebounds, two assists, two steals and one block. Freshman forward Nick Perkins got the start for the Bulls in his first game and scored 12 points.

Buffalo will participate in the Hall of Fame Tipoff Classic for four games from Monday to Sunday. Its first opponent will be Old Dominion (1-0) on Monday at 7 p.m.

Women’s basketball (1-0)

While the men’s team showed off its impressive offense, the women’s team played a tough defensive game. The result was the same.

The Bulls defeated LIU-Brooklyn (0-1) 55-38 in Alumni Arena Saturday. Buffalo held LIU-Brooklyn to less than 10 points, 31 percent shooting and zero percent shooting from three in two quarters.

Junior guard Joanna Smith scored 15 points and grabbed four rebounds, while her backcourt mate, freshman guard Stephanie Reid, scored six points to go with six assists, five steals and three rebounds.

The Bulls will remain home to face Canisius (0-1) on Tuesday. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.

Wrestling (4-1)

After a two-week layoff, the Bulls went 2-1 at the North East Duals in Albany, New York, as they defeated Springfield College 51-0 and Lock Haven (1-3) 17-16 and lost to West Virginia (4-2) 19-13. This is Buffalo’s best start to a season since 2005.

Buffalo dominated Springfield College with five Bulls getting pins and got the win over Lock Haven with a last match win by freshman heavyweight Jake Gunning, 5-0. The Bulls got off to a 10-3 lead over West Virginia, but then lost five straight matches en route to the 19-13 loss.

Sophomore Colt Cotton is now 5-0 on the year after a 3-0 weekend that included a major decision win over West Virginia’s Jake Smith, 11-1.

Buffalo next competes in the NYS Collegiate Championships in Cornell, New York next Sunday. The meet begins at 9 a.m.

Sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com.