​The Spectrum’s November movie guide

A breakdown of this month’s upcoming films

<p>As Halloween and the scary movie season comes to a close, heavy-hitting Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday releases are right around the corner. “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2,” “Spectre” and “Creed” are all huge, multi-million dollar productions set to be released this month with the potential to break box office records.</p>

As Halloween and the scary movie season comes to a close, heavy-hitting Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday releases are right around the corner. “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2,” “Spectre” and “Creed” are all huge, multi-million dollar productions set to be released this month with the potential to break box office records.

With Halloween over, the influx of scary movies comes to a close – good news for moviegoers who are too scared to watch them. As Thanksgiving quickly approaches, movie theaters are ready to enter a new season of releases for the holidays. This month’s film releases cater to all moviegoers, including a new James Bond film, a brand new Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie onscreen collaboration and even a Charlie Brown movie. Here are November’s scheduled releases.

“Spectre” Release Date: Nov. 6
PG-13

Directed by Sam Mendes, Daniel Craig stars in the 24th film in the James Bond franchise. A cryptic message from the past sends James Bond (Daniel Craig) on a journey to Mexico City and Rome to uncover the truth behind the sinister SPECTRE organization. As Bond ventures toward the heart of SPECTRE, he discovers a chilling connection between himself and the enemy (Christoph Waltz) he seeks.

“The Peanuts Movie” Release Date: Nov. 6
G

Based on the beloved childhood cartoon created by Charles Schulz, the Peanuts make their first big screen debut since the series’ inception. Directed by Steve Martino, the CGI animated film follows Charlie Brown’s quirky adventures with the new red-haired girl who moved into the neighborhood. Meanwhile, Snoopy embarks on his own fantasy adventure. As a flying ace, the world’s most lovable beagle takes on his arch enemy, the Red Baron, and attempts to win the heart of a pilot named Fifi.

“By the Sea” Release Date: Nov. 13
R

Directed by Angelina Jolie, this film stars Jolie alongside her husband Brad Pitt (“Fury”). Centered on a couple in 1970s, American writer Roland (Pitt) and wife Vanessa (Jolie) take a vacation to a picturesque French seaside resort in an effort to salvage their marriage. Through their experiences with fellow travelers Lea (Melanie Laurent) and Francois (Melvil Poupaud) and village locals, the couple begins to come to terms with the unresolved issues of their marriage.

“The 33” Release Date: Nov. 13
PG-13

Based on the true triumphant story starring Antonio Banderas (“Desperado”) and Rodrigo Santoro (“300”), Patricia Riggen directs the film about the 33 miners who were trapped below a copper and gold mine in Chile in 2010. The story of the miners’ struggle to survive trapped underground for 69 days is sure to be as exciting as it is emotional.

“The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2” Release Date: Nov. 20
PG-13

The fourth chapter of the franchise, directed by Francis Lawrence, raises the stakes as Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) takes on the ultimate task of assassinating President Snow (Donald Sutherland). With the help of Gale (Liam Hemsworth), Finnick (Same Clafin) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson), Katniss strives to once and for all liberate the nation of Panem. The exciting and hugely-anticipated conclusion to the Hunger Games series is set to be one of the biggest movies of the year.

“The Night Before” Release Date: Nov. 25
R

Directed by Jonathan Levine, this comedy stars Seth Rogan (“Pineapple Express”), Joseph Gordan-Levitt (“Don Jon”) and Anthony Mackie (“Captain America”) and features an appearance by Kanye West. Ethan (Levitt), Isaac (Rogen) and Chris (Mackie) have been friends since childhood. Every year the trio reunites on Christmas Eve for a night of debauchery and hilarity. As they enter adulthood, their tradition is coming to an end. Seeking to make their holiday as memorable as possible, they set out to find the Nutcracka Ball – the Holy Grail of Christmas parties.

“Creed” Release Date: Nov. 25
PG-13

Directed by Ryan Coogler, the film stars Michael B. Jordan (“Fruitvale Station”) as Adonis Creed, the son of famous boxing champion Apollo Creed. With his father gone and boxing talent in his blood, Creed seeks the mentorship of Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone). Follow the young boxer’s path to self-discovery as he struggles to overcome not only his own limitations but also his family’s legacy.

Gabriela Ortiz is a staff writer and can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com.