The grapevine

A weekly collection of Buffalo’s sonic selections

The week before Thanksgiving is a little slow concert-wise, but not to worry. The shows that are coming to town are still wide-ranging, featuring a nice spread of acts, from indie up-and-comers to established artists in the industry to a power metal band. Take a look and see if any of these groups are up your alley.

Tuesday, Nov. 24

Kamelot – Town Ballroom

American power metal band Kamelot, from Tampa, Florida, has been around since 1991 – the early days of prog metal. It recently released a new album in May called Haven. Known for its high intensity live shows, Kamelot is perfect for anyone who loves an intense mosh pit.

Wednesday, Nov. 25

The Wombats – Waiting Room

English indie rock band The Wombats will be making their way across the Atlantic all the way from Liverpool to make a stop at good old Buffalo. Largely influenced by the post-punk revival in the early ’00s, come out and enjoy a grungy, new wave rock show at the Waiting Room on Wednesday.

Friday, Nov. 27

Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness and New Politics – Town Ballroom

Andrew McMahon is a singer and songwriter hailing from Dana Point, California. Primarily a pop punk artist, McMahon has also been a vocalist and pianist for Something Corporate, but has recently been branching off into his own solo act. New Politics, a band all the way from Copenhagen, will accompany McMahon. The dance-rock, pop punk band has been around since ’09. Together, the indie rockers will surely put on a good show playing at Town Ballroom, Friday.

Davey O – Babeville

Davey O is a musician on the come-up. A Buffalo-native, Davey O is set to play at Babeville, one of the city’s oldest and most venerate venues. His blend of folk and rock is a sight to see, and airs on the lighter side of things. The show will be a great time to unwind and listen to a musician hungry to make it big outside of his hometown. He will be playing at Babeville on Thursday.

Saturday, Nov. 28

Sarah McLachlan – Seneca Niagara Events Center

Sarah McLachlan might be best known for her work with the ASPCA, most notably those animal commercials we all turn off before they make us feel guilty. But, she’s also a singer and songwriter who has won three Grammys and nine Juno Awards. McLachlan recently released her newest album Shine On and is on a national tour for the album. The award-winner will be performing at the Seneca Niagara on Saturday.

Nik Turner’s Hawkwind – Mohawk Place

Though not overly well-known by younger generations, Nic Turner is a famous jazz fusion musician, best known for his work as space rock pioneers Hawkwind. The band, industry veterans, has been touring since 1969. Its live shows, reputed for its legendary instrumental sections, would be a shame to miss. The group is hugely influential for music’s rock genres – its space rock was formative for many later genres.

Sunday, Nov. 29

Relient K – Waiting Room

No concert list is complete without a little Jesus. From Canton, Ohio, Christian rock Relient K will be playing at the Waiting Room on Sunday. They received a Grammy nod in 2003, nominated for the Best Rock Gospel Album. The group is currently working on its eighth studio album, set to be released sometime this year.

Brian Windschitl is the senior arts editor and can be reached at brian.windschitl@ubspectrum.com.