UB men’s soccer going to MAC Tournament for first time since 2011

Bulls clinch tournament berth after 2-1 win over Bowling Green

<p>Junior midfielderRussell Cicerone in a 2-1 loss to No. 8 Akron at UB Stadium earlier this month. Cicerone scored the game-winning goal against Bowling Green Friday night to send the Bulls to the MAC Tournament for the first time since 2011. </p>

Junior midfielderRussell Cicerone in a 2-1 loss to No. 8 Akron at UB Stadium earlier this month. Cicerone scored the game-winning goal against Bowling Green Friday night to send the Bulls to the MAC Tournament for the first time since 2011. 

The men’s soccer team is going to the Mid-American Conference Tournament for the first time since 2011.

The Bulls (7-5-4, 2-1-1 MAC) defeated Bowling Green (8-8-1, 1-3 MAC) 2-1 at UB Stadium Friday night to cinch a spot in the tournament. It will be Buffalo’s first appearance under third-year head coach Stu Riddle.

Buffalo trailed the Falcons 1-0 with less than 15 minutes remaining, but two goals from senior forward Marcus Hanson and junior midfielder Russell Cicerone just two minutes apart from each other gave Buffalo the win. Hanson scored to tie the game in the 86th minute, while Cicerone scored the game-winning goal in the 88th minute.

Buffalo wraps up the regular season next Saturday Nov. 7 against Western Michigan (8-3-4, 1-1-1 MAC) on the road at 1 p.m. Seeding for the tournament has yet to be finalized, but Buffalo would currently be the No. 2 seed with seven points.

Tom Dinki is the editor in chief and can be reached at tom.dinki@ubspectrum.com. Follow him on Twitter at @tomdinki.